Strawberry Pie.

July 24, 2008

Are you sick of strawberries yet? We sure aren't. Every time we are at the store or farmer market, C-Man asks for a basket. This recipe is a great way to use those (and other) berries up -- even if they aren't super sweet and red. It comes from a dear friend and extraordinary baker (hi D!):

Strawberry Pie
(originally from D's mother-in-law)

6 c. strawberries (can use 1/2 blackberries)
1 c. sugar
3 T. cornstarch
1/2 c. water
3 oz. cream cheese, whipped (optional)
melted bittersweet chocolate (optional)
Baked pie shell, cooled (can use regular or graham cracker crust -- I prefer regular)

Mash enough berries to make 1 cup (you can also use a blender). In a saucepan, whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in water and crushed berries. Heat over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens. Boil and stir one minute. Cool completely. If using cream cheese, spread along crust. Pour cooked berry mixture and remaining berries (left whole) over crust. Drizzle melted chocolate over the top, if using. Refrigerate at least 3 hours.

Watch out: I have been known to eat a half of one of these pies by myself!

2 comments:

  1. I made your pie this past weekend and loved it! I used blueberries, blackberries and strawberries. I added it to my springpad so I can make it again later- http://bit.ly/TePz4

    So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks FABULOUS! Thank you very much friend.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...