Real Life Green Acres.

July 14, 2008

I have hesitated to reveal here how far gone we are in the Great 2008 Live Off the Land Experiment. When B and I moved to our new house in December, we both became almost inexplicably obsessed with growing our own food. This is ironic considering neither of us has had much more than a couple of pots of wilted herbs in the last 20 years. This is also ironic considering when we met, I was living downtown and B was living at the beach (with absolutely no food in his house, I might add) and we ate out all the time. Why are we doing this, you may ask? It's sooo much cheaper and easier to go buy that 25 cent tomato. (Yes, I noticed.) I really don't know the answer to that question, but it has to do with health, environmental reasons, challenging ourselves, eating really tasty food, but maybe most of all, for our kids. We want them to understand where their food comes from, and to taste it in its freshest, most flavorful form. All those aspirations sound nice and most parents probably want the same things for their kids too, but I think we are starting to scare some people. We have even -- affectionately -- been nicknamed "Honers" (as in El Cajon-ers) by a couple of friends (hi Krista!).

You see, it all started with the chickens. B brought home a dozen one day old chicks about 5 months ago and we have been patiently awaiting the arrival of eggs ever since. People either think this is really cool or they are a bit freaked out by it (especially those who knew us in the downtown/beach living days). Some people even ask us if we are going to kill the chickens and eat them. Uh, no! We are not that crazy. We just have them for eggs (well that, and they eat all of our scraps). The exciting thing is that four of them have finally started laying eggs and now we have, can you believe it? Fresh eggs every morning. C-Man is just beside himself with excitement. Look at him here (the photo isn't the best quality, but I think you'll get the idea):

Caption should read: "Look at my eggs, mama! They come out of my chickens' bottoms!" Oh, great! Yummy!

p.s. Next up: bee hive. We got all fired up after reading this.

5 comments:

  1. I have always wanted my own chickens and am so envious that you have them and they are laying eggs! Do you have a picture of the coop?

    I just read Marley and Me and loved the part where they moved to the country and got 4 chicks. Turned out 3 were males because they didn't buy "sexed" chicks and they had to exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurin -- Yes, I can post a picture of the coop! And funny thing, we had the same discovery....two of our "hens" started crowing at 4:30 in the morning and mounting (amd harassing) the other hens. We had to give those ones away. The ladies are MUCH happier now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so are you doint the Animal, Vegetable Miracle thing? I hope I can do that some day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the stuff you gave us yesterday! We grilled the onion tonight to go on some steak sandwiches, and I'm looking forward to cooking up the chard and pickling the carrots later this week! I'm also looking forward to the peach jam! I will have to bake something to go on it - and bring you some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I come live with you? It sounds like heaven at the Domestic Reflections Farm.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...