I Finally Got Over My Fear of Canning.

July 15, 2008


I don't know what it was. I had this phobia of canning food. Sure, I've made lots of jams, jellies, preserves, chutnies, etc. through the years, but they have been the "refrigerator" variety, meaning you have to keep them in the fridge and eat them within a few weeks. Which is fine, but I want to be able to give gifts -- gifts that can be wrapped with a little raffia ribbon and a piece of cloth and put in a basket with some freshly-baked bread. Whoa, sorry I was channeling Martha for a minute. To be able to give said gifts I would have to tackle the whole sterilization, processing, sealing the jar thing. And that just freaked me out a little bit. Plus, wouldn't I need special equipment? As it turns out, no you don't need special equipment -- just the jars and lids (that almost every supermarket sells) and a big, wide pot. Last night, I decided to take on the peaches. At least part of them. I didn't want another pie -- not enough dessert eaters in this house and we aren't having anyone over until the end of the week. So, I came upon this recipe and decided to dive in. What's the worst thing that can happen? (Oh yeah, Baby J decided to wake up screaming in the middle of the whole process and it took both of her parents about an hour to get her back down, so THAT didn't help.) But other than than minor glitch, it was a piece of cake. It just takes a little time. And we all know I just have time, time, time and more time on my hands. Today, I am tackling Peach Preserves.

3 comments:

  1. I tried canning my marinara sauce but then I was told I had to add some sort of preservative of citric acid to keep it from turning dangerous. That scared me away from it. Do you know anything about the additives or where to get it? Because I would still love to can my sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 180/360: I don't know about the additives yet, although I read that acidic foods do need some extra attention. I am still researching and will update if I get some more info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a few summers I made strawberry jam and canned it ... not hard at all and sooo yummy. If you have a big pasta pot with it's own straining basket that makes things even easier.

    My jam always lasted well for 6-8 months ... once I tried to open a jar that was 2 years old, and no dice. I wonder if the strawberries were acidic and needed some preservative?

    Enjoy your preserves ...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...