Latest Harvest.

October 27, 2008

We don't have a lot to eat from the garden at the moment. B has all of the new fall vegetables coming up, but it will probably be at least a month before we will be able to taste anything (*fingers crossed*). In the meantime, I will be completely and totally satisfied by these beauties. Lovely, crisp, sweet persimmons.
If you have never tried persimmons, pick up a few the next time you are at the farmer's market. They are all over right now. I don't really like the softer, heart-shaped Hachiya persimmons (they are OK to bake with...my mom would bake breads and cookies with them). I like the Fuyus pictured above. I read somewhere that they taste like a sweet apple dusted with cinnamon. Not exactly, but that's sort of close. They are really good in salads and with cheese. We like slicing them up and snacking on them while watching a movie.

5 comments:

  1. these are almost too beautiful to touch! i love the soft orange color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh, love them. just finished one off just as i clicked over here so i'm still basking in good persimmonny sweetness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never actually had one. Someone made us some persimmon/jalapeno jelly but I couldn't really get into it. I didn't taste apple or cinnamon. Maybe I'll have to try the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Argh! I am so jealous of your persimmons. I love them too--the fuyu, only. I brought a few back from CA with me, as I haven't seen any around Seattle (don't know why, they should be able to grow up here). I am currently hoarding the last three...

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum. I adore persimimmons... it's funny bc whenever I describe them I always say a cinnamon apple. I actually think it's pretty right on as a description. they are all over italy at the moment, the first time I ever had one was in Japan where I think they are really popular. pretty picture!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...