A Visit to a Real Farm.

September 21, 2008

Late yesterday afternoon, we went up to La Milpa Farm for a potluck dinner under a huge oak tree. This is one of my very favorite events in San Diego, and luckily, one that happens every third Saturday of the month. We usually get up there just 3 or 4 times per year, but always promise ourselves we're going to make it a monthly tradition. Everyone brings a dish to share and Barry makes pizzas in the two outdoor wood-burning ovens. Later, when it starts to get dark, they show an outdoor movie (we are usually gone by then, hoping to get the kids down at a decent time). There is always a lovely group of people...hippies, foodies, farmers, families. Last night, a band even showed up to play. It also happened to be the fall equinox and the last day of summer, so there was an especially nice mood about the evening. Some of Barry's beautiful and unbelievably delicious vegetables. Most of the finest restaurants in San Diego use his produce. {All these shots are from my friend Donna, via flickr. I always forget to take my own photos when I'm up there.}

Another shot of the gardens and the idyllic setting under the oak tree.
I found a shot Donna took last summer of C-Man listening to the band. Look how little he was!

10 comments:

  1. I just read about this event for the first time on Friday...can't wait to get up there. What kind of dish do you usually take?

    ReplyDelete
  2. foodiechick: Everyone seems to bring a vegetarian dish or dessert. I brought that meyer lemon grain salad with asparagus that I recently posted about. Let me know when you are going to go -- it would be fun to meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would LOVE to go to something like this. I always read about these farm dinners and wish I knew of a farm nearby. I don't think there is anything like that here in Vegas. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. 180/360: Come back to San Diego for a visit. There are lots of great farms here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it invite only? I LOVE La Milpa - having a la milpa greens salad tonight in fact. (this is krista by the way - on the hubby's computer)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We may have to head down one of these third Saturdays. This sounds right up our alley. Looks like a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What pretty pics... and what a lovely way to spend a day! I'm starting to plan my (obviously) much smaller veg garden for this next spring and those pics were big inspiration. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like such a great time and the veggies almost look too pretty to eat. We actually go to San Diego quite a bit we might have to give that whirl one of these times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gil/Krista, MamaBJ and the Fab Sarah: Everyone is welcome! We could all pick a date and go together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi Jora - i love your blog! i wanted to share the following with you. when you posted this a few months ago i forwarded it along to my sister saying "how cool... wish we lived near somewhere like this..." well, now she does! she left a week and a half ago (she drove from Georgia) and started work on Tuesday! i think the blogging community is such a beautiful thing and this is a picture of why. thank you for your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...