He's Out in the Great Big World Now.

September 7, 2008


I can't believe my little boy starts preschool tomorrow. I have such mixed emotions about it as I have been with him for almost every moment of his life. It's hard to let go, knowing that from here out he will always have a schedule and his own life...separate from me...in places where he can get hurt or scared or sad.

The school has given us lots of interesting reading. Here is a quote from the cover of the Parent Handbook. I really, really like it.

"I am struck by the fact that the more slowly trees grow at first, the sounder they are at the core, and I think that the same is true for human beings. We do not wish to see children "precocious," making great strides in their early years, like sprouts producing a soft and perishable timber, but rather, better, as if contending gradually with difficulties, they are solidified and gradually perfected. Such trees continue to expand with nearly equal rapidity to an extreme old age."
-- from the journal of Henry David Thoreau

I think C-Man is in very good hands.

1 comment:

  1. Thoreau's sentiment is beautiful. How wonderful to know his teachers will embrace that. Skyler started last week. First day is such a bittersweet experience for a mom, (and dad). Good luck...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...