Let the Onslaught of Photocards Begin.

November 21, 2008

I must admit one of my favorite things about this time of the year is getting all of the photo cards and even those family update letters ("Johnny just THRIVES in his Latin class"). I like checking out the new babies, the family pets, someone's sherpa. You all know the drill.

One of B's old friends sends her family's letter out before Thanksgiving, so it is always the first we receive. She and her family are very special -- for the last many years they have run a non-profit organization that provides clean drinking water to small villages in Central America. They are, obviously, very selfless and spiritual people. This year, Dana's letter was uplifting as usual, but I really, really liked something she wrote at the very end. I've been thinking about it ever since I first read it.

"May gratitude continue to take over your heart -- crowding out worry, fear, jealousy, envy, hate and the litany of other useless emotions."

Such wise words.

8 comments:

  1. I love that. It gives me chills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wise woman. those words get me in the right spirit. makes all the ho ho ho's of other cards (mine included) seem a little vapid...

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow - those really are powerful words. i might just write them down and put them where i can see 'em...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those words are so true, I think I need to make it my mantra lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for sharing this. it really captures the spirit of the holidays and reminds us of what we really need to focus on. speaking of photo cards do you happen to have any suggestions where i can order them? its my babys first holiday as well and i would like to send some out. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love that jora...such a good reminder. far too often i let everything else overtake being grateful. i needed this.
    thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This quote will be joining my inspiration board, I hope you don't mind. What a lovely friend you have.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...