Adriana's Pumpkin Soup.

November 6, 2008

Meet my friend Adriana. She is the consummate hostess, loves to have fun and is an extraordinarily good cook. She is also the wife to a very sweet guy and has the cutest two little munchkins. Most importantly, however, she makes the best pumpkin soup, which she serves at an annual party that also involves chili (and she's Texan, so you know it's good), cornbread, brownies, icy cold beer and pitchers of sangria. She agreed to share the soup recipe with me I think because I make a fool of myself each year eating bowl after bowl of it in the corner of her kitchen while everyone else is out socializing and not making gluttons of themselves. And I am going to share it now with you. I've had lots of versions of pumpkin soup, and I like many of them, but some are just too sweet, too watery, too blah, too something. This one is just right. Before I give you the recipe, however, would you take a look at Adriana and Corey as Governor Palin and Joe the Plumber? (And yes, that is a "Joe + Sarah" tatoo on his arm.) Too freaking cute.

Pumpkin Soup

1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped celery
3 T. butter
1/2 c. white wine
2 c. canned pumpkin
1 t. salt
1 T. sugar
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. pepper
1/2 t. cumin (optional)
3 c. chicken stock
1/2 c. heavy cream

Saute onion and celery in butter until translucent. Add white wine to simmer. Lower heat and add remaining ingredients, except cream. Cook for 1/2 hour. Turn off the heat and add cream. Puree soup till smooth.

5 comments:

  1. This DOES sound good---in the past I've not liked pumpkin soups because they taste almost like I'm eating liquid pie...but the white wine and cumin in this one sounds like a really nice layering of flavours.

    I'm also fascinated by the sound of that Texan chili...does Adriana share that recipe or is it a closely guarded secret? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Citysage....this soup doesn't have the flavor of pumpkin pie at all (even with the nutmeg). And I'm not sure about that chili recipe. Adriana, is it a secret or is it for sharing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried to pry that famous chili recipe out of her, and as any good Texan would respond to my ploys, she simply and very sweetly, changed the subject!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds really good, and pretty quick too! I will have to give it a try this fall. Not sure why, but I'm really into soups right now. I made chili on Sunday, and I've eaten it just about every day this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great picture! Ever since that costume, I see Adrianna's face when Sarah Palin's picture is in the paper.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...