Vintage Punch Bowls on the Brain.

November 23, 2008

I'm thinking of single-handedly bringing the punch bowl back. Maybe it's already back in some circles, or maybe it never left others? Those people are too cool for me. When was the last time you were at a party with a punch bowl? I know haven't seen one since my mom dragged me to a baby shower in the mid-eighties. I'm pretty sure it was filled with some non-alcoholic fruit punch with scoops of orange sherbet. Not exactly what I have in mind this time around.

I first need to find a punch bowl, ideally with all of those coordinating cute cups with the little handles. Vintage. Ebay. You get the idea.

How about this, which just happens to be listed on ebay right now?

I'm thinking of filling it with something like this Pineapple Punch from a 1959 issue of Gourmet Magazine. It is certainly from the era I'm going for, and it looks like it would give a real, er, kick in the pants. Just right for a cocktail party at this time of the year. What do you think?

Pineapple Punch
Gourmet June 1959; reprinted September 2001

1 large ripe pineapple (4 1/4lb) (preferably "extra sweet")
2 750-ml bottles dry white wine
1/2 cup brandy
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
2 chilled 750-ml bottles Champagne

Cut off and discard top of pineapple. Cut off rind and cut rind into 2-inch pieces. Quarter pineapple lengthwise and cut away core, then cut core into 2-inch pieces. Blend rind and core to a coarse purée in a food processor, in batches if necessary.

Put pineapple purée in a bowl and stir in white wine. Chill, covered, 1 hour.

Cut remaining pineapple into 1/3-inch dice and stir with brandy and confectioners sugar in another bowl. Macerate, covered and chilled, stirring occasionally, 1 hour.

While pineapple is macerating, bring granulated sugar and water to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved, then boil syrup over moderate heat, undisturbed, until it registers 230°F on candy thermometer. Cool syrup.

Pour wine mixture through a large fine sieve into a punch bowl set in cracked ice and stir in syrup, pineapple with liquid, and Champagne.

6 comments:

  1. I think punch bowls are rad, you should totally get one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Shut-up, shut-up, you had me at vintage." And then you had me at champagne. Yum!


    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have one! It's not this cool though, just plain glass from Crate and Barrell - we used to serve James' famous homemade eggnog in it at our Tree Trimming Party, but we haven't had one of those in a few years since the Pozole Party has kind of taken over. Love this fancy one though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! This reminds me of a vintage milk glass punch set that I've been eying at Goodwill...if you decide you want to bring back punch bowls, I'll happily be your first groupie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I think it adds a special something to any party. I've been drooling over the William Yeoward Eloise Punch Bowl for a while now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom still uses her punch bowl all the time- but I definitely wouldn't classify her as "too cool." I should drag mine out of the pantry and dust it off. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...