Grilled Cheese: How Do I Love Thee? Let Me Count the Ways.

December 4, 2008

I never tire of a nice grilled cheese sandwich for lunch, or supper, or a midnight snack. It satisfies all my normal cravings: crusty, buttery, cheesy. Plus, if you whip up a little soup? Culinary match made in heaven. (You can always do the ubiquitous tomato soup, true, but try this pea soup if you are looking to shake things up a bit.) Here are some favorite combinations:
  • Fresh mozzarella, tomato, basil on ciabatta
  • Jack and pickled jalapenos (or roasted green chiles) on sourdough
  • Gruyere and thinly sliced pear on French Bread
  • Sharp cheddar on Trader Joe's Onion Rye with cornichons (a current obsession)
  • The Grilled Cheese I Grew Up With: Cheddar on Orowheat Wheatberry Bread (always served with a milk and frozen banana smoothie)

I really want to try the combo in that gorgeous photo: Taleggio, onion jam and escarole on sourdough. What combo do you like? Also, do you call it "Toasted Cheese" like B and his family do?

photo credit: gourmet

9 comments:

  1. You are so creative! I have to admit that I usually just go for my favorite cheese on some whole grain bread. Even more embarrassing - I occasionally go for the pure comfort of gooey, somewhat plastic-y kraft singles. I can't believe I even admitted that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot for the wheatberry. I was also raised on that nubby little loaf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love grilled cheese (never heard toasted cheese before). One of my favorites is wheat bread, muenster, red pepper, tomato, and onion. My aunt makes a great mozzarella, ciabatta, basil (fresh from her garden), and tomato that I've tried to replicate but can't...the cheese never melts for me! So frustrating that I can make a three-tier cake but not a grilled cheese sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum - grilled cheese is my favorite sandwich EVER!
    I actually just had an amazing one yesterday: grilled whole wheat bread with brie, sauteed apples, a few leaves of fresh spinach and fig jam - DELICIOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could eat a grilled cheese sandwich and pea soup for lunch every single day. It does not get any better. Thanks for the simple-looking soup recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not super picky about grilled cheeses because no matter how you do them they're so good. I actually did sharp white cheddar on Milton's bread when I made your pumpkin soup, it was yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm Now I want a grilled cheese for lunch... My favorite is (brace yourself- it doesn't sound good) good whole wheat bread with mayo, sprinkled garlic powder, and shart white cheddar. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhh, grilled cheese...a GFCF'ers dream...those were the days. I say from the bottom of my heart - enjoy every single last bite all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. we call them grillers. as in, do you want a griller.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...