What's Happened to Life on the Farm?

January 8, 2009

I know I've been a little quiet on this subject for awhile. Truth be told, not everything at Green Acres is happy and easy. Say, for instance, the Hungry Fox Meets the Pretty Fluffy White Chicken Incident. Yes, it was very sad. A big mess of feathers was all that was left behind. C-Man has suggested we "run over the fox with a bicycle" the next time we see it. Hmmm. At least we still have eight left.

Then, there is the issue of shorter, colder days which, we city-folks-at-heart now know means much longer growing periods. So, we aren't overflowing with goodies just yet. I simply can't wait to get my hands on the following: celery, brussels spouts, cabbage, lacinato kale, savoy cabbage, carrots, chioggia beets and others veggies I can't remember at the moment. Plus, there is something not very, I don't know... sexy.... about all these winter vegetables. I mean, a big, juicy, ripe tomato begs to be photographed. And all those pretty shiny peppers and cucumbers from last summer? I just couldn't keep my mouth shut.

But then. Late yesterday afternoon, B walked in with those big heads of broccoli. Aren't they gorgeous? (GAH, I sound like the Barefoot Contessa every time I say that.) I want to do something special with them, but I haven't figured it out yet. Any suggestions?

The best part of our winter garden is that B is growing tons and tons of different types of lettuces. Which means we get to have a salad every night. This particular one has carrots, green onions, avocado and pine nuts. And I've been making big batches of this dressing to use. C-Man has declared it his favorite dressing ("the brown one.")

11 comments:

  1. That's it. I'm moving in. You have an extra room, right? And my huband and son are welcome right? We promise not to hog the pine nuts.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh goody. i love hearing about the farm! (poor chicken.)

    I always think broccoli is most delicious when it's stir fried with garlic and ginger. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we make a delicious pasta sauce here with cooked and then pureed broccoli... a real crowd pleaser, even the kids like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sound so yummy Ms. Villa Pacis. Jora, I recommend you try Heidi Swanson's Broccoli Crunch recipe. Very winter appropriate and VERY delicious. Check out http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/broccoli-crunch-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheesh, sorry about the bird, poor thing. Broccoli is gorgeous, oops, I said it too, durn. Steamed & I think lemon zest and caramelized or fried shallots or garlic and a pinch of salt flakes. Simple, divine and you can taste the flavor of the veggie without overwhelming it. Homegrown goodness. Whelp, I'm off to Hawaii, sans kids. For real. See you when I get back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A garden-fresh salad every night? Now that's living. The salad in the picture looks unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious - this has inspired me to make something interested to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So inspiring! Except for the carnage of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saw this on the Bitten blog and thought of your broccoli:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/14/dining/141arex.html?ref=dining

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can vouch for C-man's taste in dressings, and I like his thinking on the fox. James still swears we don't have them out here, but I am sure I have seen two. Unless they were short red coyotes with long bushy tails!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not only did the story of the Fox/Chicken incident have me in stitches, but I had to read it out loud to my husband. sadly i ruined the punchline because as I neared the line with c-man's brilliant fox solution, I couldn't stop laughing and had to abandon trying to read it to him. he just looked at me strangely.

    and it's true that winter vegetables aren't very sexy. i think it has to do with the fact that most of them are pretty wrinkly and not very vibrant.

    My favourite broccoli recipe? a salad I make that completely destroys any nutritional value the humble veggie might offer: it contains crispy bacon, cheddar cheese, raisins and toasted almonds, as well as a dressing consisting solely of vinegar, mayo, and white sugar. Oh! I just remembered that I posted it a really long time ago back when I first started blogging!

    http://www.annesage.com/blog/2008/05/you-can-win-fri.html

    Have a great weekend Jora!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...