Top Secret "Recipe."

January 22, 2009

I am all for shortcuts when it comes to making dinner these days. But not if it tastes like a shortcut, you know? That is why I tend to stay away from the Take This Prepared Food and Add This Prepared Food and Add a Jar of Ready Made Sauce style "recipes." I would rather take the family to In-n-Out Burger.

But the other night when we were out to dinner with some serious foodie friends, the Mrs. of the couple shared a secret recipe involving two of Trader Joe's, you guessed it, prepared food items. I couldn't help but take note...she looked around to see if anyone was watching or listening (we were at a rather fancy restaurant) and leaned in rather surreptitiously to tell me the formula. She told me to not judge it and just try it for myself. And, as someone who almost always does what she is told, I went to get the ingredients and proceeded to make it last night. I have to admit, B was liking the dish so much I didn't want to admit to my secret!

The only trick, I guess, is that you have to have a Trader Joe's in your area...and to those of you who don't, what can I say? My heart goes out to you.

Lisa's Shredded Pork and Chimichurri Rice

1 bag Trader Joe's Peruvian Style Chimichurri Rice (in the freezer section)
1 piece of Trader Joe's Cooked Carnitas (in the refrigerator section), shredded
Veggies (Lisa says she likes to "bump up the produce" with this recipe...just saute whatever veggies you'd like before adding the rice to the pan. I used half an onion and a yellow bell pepper.)

Saute veggies in olive oil in a pan over medium high heat until soft. Add rice, carnitas meat and 2 tablespoons water and stir fry the whole thing for about 4 or 5 minutes. Voila!

(Don't be dumb like me -- tell your husband you slaved over the hot stove all afternoon!)

(Also, if you have another easy great recipe like this, please share!)

The one drawback to this dish is that it isn't very photogenic. Thus, no photos of last night's dinner.

10 comments:

  1. TJ's "recipes" are some of my favorite standbys. I always keep their frozen stuff on hand to throw together for quick dinners.
    I'll have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy. I am one of those poor souls without a Trader Joe's though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to try this. I was on my way to TJ's tomorrow anyway for some olive oil. Thanks! Always looking for a good freezer/pantry standby meal that I can throw together. BTW, made Smitten's homemade pizza last night. I'm so glad I finally tried making my own dough. I can cross that one off my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will certainly give this a try. Thanks for letting us in on the secret.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think TJ's is the primary reason my husband and I are moving back to CA...in&out is the 2nd. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good to me! I like TJ's but I find I really have to look at their labels. So much of it comes from China, which I'm a bit paranoid about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! I will take as many of these recipes as you've got.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay..So I went to TJ's to pick up the ingredient's..Thought it sounded like a good stand by..Well turn's out the burger's we were gonna consume would be hard to eat without the beef I forgot to buy..
    So voila the "top secret recipe"come's to the rescue..YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    We had it on fresh made flour tortilla's, a dollup of sour cream and chopped sugar plum tomatoe's..
    With enough for tomorrow..THX

    ReplyDelete
  9. WTF, she never gives us secret recipes when we dine with your "serious foodie friends"! I think me and the Mrs. are getting short-changed!

    -Editor
    WTFIRGO

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK -Finally made this on Monday and we loved it. So easy and yummy. There are just two of us so we had leftovers. Last night I dumped the leftovers in to a pot with some chicken stock and a scoop of salsa. Added some sliced avocado on top and yum! Delicious rice, pork, chicken stock, veggie soup. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...