Eat Like a Local.

January 16, 2009

Just about everyone I know is making an effort to eat more locally-grown foods. (In case you hadn't heard, it's not good enough to trust Whole Foods to these sorts of things. They don't always do such a good job. You really must search out those products that are in season in your area and -- hopefully -- buy directly from a farmer.)

This tool here makes it easy to figure out what is in season in your area. It even tells you what neighboring areas are growing if you're willing to step out of your immediate region to satisfy a craving. For instance, radishes and limes aren't in season right now in Southern California, so if I do decide to buy them (I almost always like to have both on hand) I can seek out those grown in Northern California, where they are in season.

I feel a bit guilty, though, because there is so, so, so very much grown in California at any time, which is definitely not the case, say, in New York. In other words, if you live in California you simply have no excuse to be eating Chilean peaches at this time of the year. Wait, anytime of the year!

9 comments:

  1. OK, so why did I get a big bag of radishes in my CSA box (Be Wise Ranch) this week???? I have been getting radishes from them for months ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were doing some "market research" and went into whole foods to see if what they were selling grass fed beef for. The butcher informed us that they were all out of grass fed at the moment but they did have "grain finished beef, which only spent the last 120 days of its life on grain, instead of its whole life on grain, like the beef that you get at the supermarket." which is completely ridiculous, because all beef is grass fed for the first part of its life, then sold to the feedlot and finished on grain. So yes, I agree that whole foods tends to act more holy than it really is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I'll be frequenting that NRDC link for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here here for local produce! I bought an organic chicken from a local farmer at the Hillcrest market last Sunday. $20 for an 8 pd beauty. I haven't tasted chicken as delicious as this since I was a kid sitting at my grandma's table....well worth the price and the feel good factor for supporting local farmers made it even tastier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I WISH I could buy locally - but we have the most dismal farmer's market on the planet and I only know of one local farm, but it is not organic. We also have no CSA type programs here. Instead I try to grow what I can in my own garden, but it is definitely challenging here in Vegas.

    I have noticed our Whole Foods points out which produce is grown in Nevada (usually onions) but I definitely try to look at labels to see where the other produce comes from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a grass-fed beef butcher in La Jolla, in the same shopping center as Zenbu on Fay Ave ... and I think the cows are local!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. It's so easy to just buy and not consider where stuff comes from.
    We have a program called do door to door organics. For a small fee they drop stuff off at our front door, great since both of us work full time. In the winter, most of the stuff is from warmer climates, like California. But in the summer, we get all kinds of local Colorado produce.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are also very lucky to live in a temperate climate where food grows quickly and easily.

    I know that the only way to be sure I'm not supporting food miles is to grow my own. Good on you for being green!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...