When Life Gives You Potatoes...

March 17, 2009

Make thee some Potato Leek Soup. I think I mentioned that B had another meeting with the farmers, and in addition to all that asparagus (thank you for your recipe suggestions!), I also have about 20 pounds of potatoes to deal with. Not that I'm complaining.

So when I went to Trader Joe's yesterday to pick up my corned beef, they were like "Hee hee ha ha ho ho, you needed to be here by last Friday to get some of that." And since I wasn't about to start running all over town trying to find out who still had corned beef left (plus it didn't sound that great to me....although I will miss that hash!!), I picked up some leeks instead and headed home.

The soup is truly easy as pie. Although I don't find pies particularly easy, so don't let that discourage you. First, get yourself a whole mess of potatoes. Peel them:
Then slice up a whole mess of leeks and cook them in butter over medium heat until they soften.
Put it all together with some chicken stock (at the risk of stating the obvious, I should mention those potatoes are now diced):
Simmer all of it until the potatoes are quite tender and then puree the soup in a blender. Add cream or half and half to your liking. This is not low-fat stuff here. Would I ever steer you in that direction??

Now, if you're all fancy, you can chill this soup and call it Vichyssoise, but I never much cared for it that way unless I'm sitting in a Very Fancy French Restaurant. At home, I like mine hot.

If you're not so fancy, but you must have some bread-y yumminess to go along with your soup, make yourself some Irish Soda Bread. Here studded with beautiful organic raisins. Yum. (Then, as I mentioned before, toast this bread the next morning, slather it with that Kerrigold Irish Butter all the stores have at this time of year and drink with copious amounts of Irish Breakfast Tea. It will not disappoint.)

11 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm...potato leek soup sounds wonderful! I've never had corned beef, and I have to admit I've always been scared by the name. This sounds much better to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm your Soda Bread looks good! Any leftovers? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your soda bread is gorgeous. Takes me back to my mom's which we always slathered with butter and orange marmalade. Definitely one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The soup looks delicious. I made soda bread too...and then ate the majority of it myself. Whoops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two words: Immersion Blender. Not just another kitchen appliance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The expression should be "as easy as potato-leek soup". And for kitchen dunces like me, it is important to mention that the potatoes should be diced. Or that an egg should be cracked open and once it's empty that the shell should be discarded. I'm that bad.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love making leek potato soup and I like eating it even more. In Brazil we always make potato leek soup with hearts of palm. So as a fusion I now make leek, potato, hearts of palm, soup. The hearts of palm adds a super decadent buttery flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jora - so glad to have found you (via Design Mom). I feel like I've found my cooking inspiration for the year! A question about the soup: I've developed an intolerance for leeks. Sadly can't eat them anymore. Any suggestions for a substitute? (Onions, shallots, or will nothing else suffice?) I love potato soup, but haven't made it since the leek - er, problem -- discovery :-(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Annie! Thanks for your nice comment! Maybe try a combo of shallots and white onion? I'm sure that would be tasty. You could also add a little green onion....

    ReplyDelete
  10. You PEELED the potatoes. Noooooooo! Oh the humanity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just finished making this soup. Divine! Especially with a little after-kicker of Chinese 5-spice. That was Brett's idea, but I'm still taking credit for making the soup. Thanks! Now for that soda bread recipe . . .

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...