Mommy Brain and the Asparagus.

March 15, 2009

B and I are both lawyers. Or, he still is and I'm not or taking a break or something like that. I love how people get a kick out of this: "Boy, you guys must really have some good arguments! Haha!" In reality, it is sort of nice to both be trained to do the same thing. You can relate to each other in the work world in a way that say, a lawyer and an artist could not. Although, for the record, I WISH I were an artist or something fun like that. I'm just trying to point out the upside here: we can talk shop, bounce ideas off each other, and when B says "I have to file a summary judgment motion in 3 days and I will be a depos for the next two -- argh!"... let's just say, I get it.

But. You knew there was a but coming, didn't you? Ever since I became a mom and our lives have become so different -- he works outside of the home, I work inside; he wears fancy suits to meetings with important people, I wipe a lot of snotty noses; he has deadline/client/pissed-off judge kind of stress, I have oh-my-gosh-i-can't-take-this-screaming-and-when-can-i-get-a-shower kind of stress. In other words, our work worlds are quite different now. I can still get it....I just have to make the effort to turn mommy brain off and lawyer/partner/wife brain on when B wants to talk shop. I imagine you other moms out there get what I'm talking about.

So when B was telling me about a new case he has representing a family of farmers, I just heard: "farmers." How cool! They have tons of farmland and they've been doing it for multiple generations. And did I mention they are farmers? And get this: when they meet with B, they'll bring him things like 10 pounds of organic purple asparagus. Picked that morning. Let me tell you, these were the perks I dreamed about in law school.

I immediately went into recipe planning mode and pulled out a long-time favorite: Cream of Asparagus Soup. You will LOVE this soup. And this is the perfect time of year to make it: the asparagus is sweet and plentiful. The soup truly is the essence of asparagus, so if you are a fan, like we are, make this soup. Cream of Asparagus Soup

Gourmet, March 2001

2 pounds green asparagus (peel the bottom halves of the asparagus)
1 large onion, chopped
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 to 6 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup crème fraîche or heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste

Cut tips from 12 asparagus 1 1/2 inches from top and halve tips lengthwise if thick. Reserve for garnish. Cut stalks and all remaining asparagus into 1/2-inch pieces. Cook onion in 2 tablespoons butter in a 4-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened. Add asparagus pieces and salt and pepper to taste, then cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add 5 cups broth and simmer, covered, until asparagus is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes. While soup simmers, cook reserved asparagus tips in boiling salted water until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes, then drain. Purée soup in batches in a blender until smooth, transferring to a bowl, and return to pan. Stir in crème fraîche, then add more broth to thin soup to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Bring soup to a boil and whisk in remaining tablespoon butter.

Add lemon juice and garnish with asparagus tips. Isn't it pretty?

10 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, I love cream of anything...especially asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That purple asparagus is something else. I've never seen the purple variety. Asparagus is one of my favorite veggies of all time. I'll have to try the soup. BTW, have you read Barbara Kingsolver's Animal Vegetable Miracle? She waxes poetic about asparagus and the trials and tribulations of growing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were like that old Farside comic: "Blah blah blah blah farmers blah blah blah blah...".

    The soup seems amazing.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would be a great title for a book! Can't wait to make this soup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yummy! that soup looks so good!!! i'll have to get some asparagus at the next farners market trip and make that soup! Do the kids like it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm! What a perk. If only all clients dealt in such yummy stuff. I have never tried purple asparagus -- very intrigued.

    Totally hear you on the 'same profession as your partner thing' -- Toby and I are both in the graphic design industry. When he comes home waxing poetic about the perfect application of a double hit of Pantone 021c or lamenting a bad trap or choke, I nod and smile :) And feel sorry for anyone else within earshot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! My husband and I are both lawyers too - though we don't get any such tasty perks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm new to your blog and love it. Funny world - my husband and I are both lawyers, I'm about to go on maternity leave with our second child (we have a 1 1/2 year old boy and are expecting a girl in April). So I can totally relate to your blog! Looking forward to reading more about handling 2 kids as opposed to 100+ files and clients! I think the kids might be more challenging...! Trina

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so excited I found this recipe. I need to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...