Those Darn Coffee Crunch Bars.

March 2, 2009

OK, so you're going to want to pull out a pen and piece of paper, or turn on your printer, or do whatever you do when you don't want to forget something. (If I may be so bold.)

These here are Orangette's Coffee Crunch Bars (and you're not going to want to forget them):This is the second batch I've made...this time from a version a bit different than was printed in Bon Appetit. After a few email exchanges, Molly was sweet enough to share the "real" version as I believe she thinks it is superior. And, well, I must agree. But, when you're talking Coffee and Crunch and Chocolate and Almonds and Cookie Bars....well, you're already ahead of the game in my book anyway.

I seriously can't keep my greedy paws off these. And the note at the bottom of the recipe is true: the flavor is even better the next day. So try to use some restraint. Not that I could. Coffee Crunch Bars

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp. baking powder

¼ tsp. salt

8 oz. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened

½ cup tightly packed light brown sugar

½ cup tightly packed dark muscovado sugar (I used light because that's what I had)

½ tsp. almond extract

2 Tbsp. instant espresso or instant coffee

½ cup sliced almonds

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.In another medium bowl, cream the butter and sugars with an electric mixer, beating until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the almond extract and instant espresso, and beat 1 minute more. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the flour mixture in three doses, mixing until just absorbed. Stir in the almonds and chocolate chips. The dough will be thick.

Turn the dough out onto an ungreased (approximately 12" x 17") rimmed baking sheet. Using your hands, press the dough evenly into a 12" by 12" square.Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the edges are browned and the top looks set. Cool in the pan for 1 minute; then, while still hot, cut into 24 (2" by 3") bars. Transfer immediately to wire rack to cool completely. Bars will crisp as they cool.

Note: Bars will keep, sealed in an airtight container at room temperature, for up to 5 days. Their flavor improves with time.

Yield: 24 bars

p.s. These taste divine, obviously, with a coffee, but I like to have a couple with a glass of icy-cold lemonade. Mmmmmmmm.

14 comments:

  1. yum, those look awesome. two sticks of butter though! I'm thinking about it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would never even DREAM of making those since i know i would not be able to share at all. those look like little pieces of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I'll have to vegan them up with coconut oil instead of the butter but these sound amazing! TU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both recipes sound awesome. I can't wait to try them!
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. chocolate and coffee does it get any better???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why is is that every time you post a recipe I have to run out and buy the ingredients pronto. Every. single. time. Must be the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This time you had me at coffee. Yum again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i ripped this one out of bon appetit and have been planning to make them...but now i'm making this version for sure! kudos to you for getting the real recipe.
    you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jora, can I use dark brown sugar in place of the Muscavado sugar? they didn't have muscavado at my grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  10. kellyt: yes, I think it woud be fine, but try it with the muscavado sometime too (I know Whole Foods carries it).

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look SO good! I've been looking for a recipe to shake up my cookie routine and I think this might be the one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh "it was the devil" who led me here.
    Yum, heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm, yum! I'll be trying those out. They contain two of my man's favourite things, coffee and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've made these twice now and they are TO DIE FOR. Thanks for trying out so many fun recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...