When I'm Feeling Like a Nice Mom, I Make Cupcakes.

August 19, 2008


C-Man needed a little extra attention this morning. B had an early meeting downtown which led to an early morning meltdown, and then there was a setback in the potty training. (We are 99% there, people, but sometimes I guess a 3 y.o. just needs to revert to his diaper-wearing days.) Baby J went down for a nice mid-morning nap (thank you, thank you, heavens above), so C-Man and I made "cupcakes," or really, zucchini muffins. It's a great way to use up those zucchinis we're so bored with and I feel slightly better about letting him eat something with a vegetable mixed in. (Next time I am cutting back the sugar. I need to experiment more with this recipe....) These are super moist and tender because of the oil (versus butter) and the pastry flour. When I am feeling super, duper nice (not today, sorry), I make a cream cheese frosting to spread on top.

Whole Wheat Zucchini Muffins (or "cupcakes")

1 large zucchini
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with liners and set aside. Grate zucchini on the large holes of a box grater (to yield 1 3/4 cups); set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, vanilla, and eggs. Into a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, and stir to combine well. Stir in grated zucchini.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 20 minutes.

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, room temperature
2-3 c. powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Place butter and cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high until fluffy. Reduce speed; add sugar (start with 2 cups, then add more to reach your desired consistency) and vanilla, beat until well combined.

"Wow, these are really delicious, mama."

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jora-- I came across your blog via Alice Q's restaurant reviews, and I just want to let you know how much I enjoy reading it every day. It's truly addictive. I am a working mom in San Diego with two children, and I love getting a glimpse of what it might be like to have chickens, grow more veggies, etc. Sometimes after reading your posts I am very tempted to quit working! Your posts inspire me to try new things and I appreciate your humor and irreverence. This is my first blog fan mail and it feels a little odd, but thank you for writing so regularly and so well.
    -Shira

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good! I am so making them this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love love love him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey jora, would you give a bite of these to J-Baby? I feel the need to expand Maia's food sceene - what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shira: thanks so much for your sweet comments! I'm blushing.

    Krista: my sister already gave her a bite of one and she totally loved it. I probably wouldn't have given it to her (evil! sugar!), but it was a tiny bite after all and there is other good stuff in it.

    Auntie M: he loves, loves, loves you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been craving zucchini muffins (or bread) and I don't have a recipe yet so thanks. My littles love to cook so I might be whipping up a batch of these this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. can't wait to try this recipe - just found your blog and love it!

    J :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...