There Are Perks to Being a Blogger.

April 27, 2009

Over these past 10 or 11 months of blogging, some very cool things have happened to me. Not least of which is meeting really cool people, including someone from Rome (who we hope to meet in person this summer), a bunch of like-minded moms, people who make me laugh out loud at my computer screen, plus many more. I've reconnected with people I had lost touch with (including some high school peeps). But I think the coolest thing that has come about since I decided to "blog" on a whim (that late night back in May when the rest of my family was sleeping soundly) was meeting this sweet girl, Abby:
Here's the story: I wrote a post about a farm dinner we went to back in September. A couple of months later I got an email from a girl in Georgia telling me her sister had read that post and decided to try to get an apprenticeship at this same farm. The sister, Abby, got the job and promptly moved out here. I met her a couple of weeks later at the farmer's market. She is sweet as pie, and I'm so flattered I had anything to do with her coming here in the first place!

We had her over to the house the other night and it's a toss up as to who liked her most: Bryan (who was was totally won over by her knowledge of gardening, raising chickens and keeping bees....and who invited her to come be an apprentice at Green Acres!), C-Man who led her around the yard like his personal pet, JuJu who was reaching out for Abby to hold her by the end of the evening (and called her "mama"!!??!), or me who found her to be totally girlfriend material within the first 3 seconds.

I may have been slightly swayed by the gift basket she brought (pictured at the top of this post), with all sorts of goodies from the farm and from other vendors at the farmer's market. JuJu was especially curious about the edible flowers in the basket.....
Taking a little nibble of one of the petals......
And, not liking it so much! :)

12 comments:

  1. Jora! this post totally made me cry... i don't know if it's seeing my sweet sister (in a photo. on the internet. i know) or your oh-so-kind words about her. either way, i am touched. xx -arre

    ReplyDelete
  2. how nice! i love the gift basket, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. too cute! maia got one of those edible flowers at the farmers market on sunday - she was not quite as adventurous as JuJu!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww... that is the sweetest thing. i can totally relate. my blogging started in the same manner, whim, ate night, all alone... and has opened many new worlds. i am still shocked on a continual basis by how freaking cool this whole blog world can be and how many horizons it can open. hope all is well, and i hope i am the roman you were typing about! can't wait to have a face to face under the tuscan sun;-) cold and cruddy here for the moment but i can smell the seasons changing and italy is about to blossom into it's most beautiful self! yay

    ReplyDelete
  5. high school peep says, "how very cool!" What a nice story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it amazing? You just never know what will happen! Such cute pictures of Juju and Abby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abby is one of my all time favorite names. She LOOKS like the perfect Abby. Love the story, love the pics.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh this is so cool! i agree...the connections and new friends you make through blogging are the best.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely agree! I'll be in San Diego the last week in June maybe I could meet two of my favorite like minded Mamas while I'm there?

    ReplyDelete
  10. lauren in the tundraApril 29, 2009 at 8:35 PM

    You seem like the loveliest of ladies. What a happy life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're one of my biggest blogging perks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...