Last Minute Brunch.

April 15, 2009

We had dear friends (and their three kids) staying with us this weekend. I had a dilemma that I have often now that I am "with children"....wanting to be a great hostess, but being realistic about what I can do without turning into a total and complete biyatch. Know what I mean? So I was a bit pleased that I was able to pull together a breakfast/brunch for nine people (plus one bun in the oven) on a morning that we all had to be out of the house no later than 9 a.m. It wasn't fancy, but it did include excellent cappucinos prepared by B, chile relleno casserole, sausages, bacon, toasted Finninsh Sweet Cardamom Raisin Bread, and a strawberry, kiwi and mango compote. All before 9 a.m. -- did I mention that? Plus there was all of the other morning duties that are normally involved: dishes, nursing, diapers changed, dressing unwilling children, trying to *beautify* myself, etc. All before 9 a.m.

The key, I believe, to a tasty and quick brunch for a crowd is some sort of cheesy casserole. I've been making this recipe of my mom's for years and it never fails to disappoint. Plus, all of the ingredients just might be lurking in your pantry.

Chile Relleno Casserole
1 can green chiles, cut lengthwise into strips
1 lb. jack cheese, cut into slices 1/2 in. thick and 1 in. wide (any mild cheese is fine, I used a colby/jack combo this time)
2 eggs
2/3 c. flour
1 1/2 c. milk
1 t. salt
Arrange chiles in a 9x13 in. glass baking dish. Arrange cheese strips on top. Whisk together remaining ingredients and pour over the top. Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 mins. or until top is golden and puffy. It's best right out of the oven, but room temperature is fine too. This adds to the low maintenance factor. :-)

10 comments:

  1. 'm so impressed and my husband would so love this. I've been meaning to tell you congratulations on the wee bun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All before 9 a.m....still reeling. I probably would have had to have gotten up at 4 to do all of that.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I relate to the first paragraph...for the past 3 weekends! The recipe looks so great, I can't wait to try it. Wish I had it a month ago! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super impressed. I wouldn't even have been able to handle the smells of the food let alone get my head out of the toilet at that point! You're amazing!

    Hang in there...three kids is so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very impressive! Ah, remember the days when simply being up and out of bed before 9 was noteworthy?

    My parents used to make a chile casserole like that--brings back good memories :) I'll have to give yours a go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jora!! Delicious!! Made it this morning and it was a huge hit!!
    You are the woman!! I have two little ones and had no guests and I couldn't get it done before 10 a.m.
    Congrats on the new little one, hope your pregnancy goes well....

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious!! I have a paris presentation to give Weds night and I may even make this then for my family so they will have something healthy and delicious to eat and I should be able to pull it off and get to my talk in time!! Love your blog BTW!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very impressive for a last minute brunch...and it looks so delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good - can you tell me what size can of chilis I would need?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...