A veggie burger recipe

June 22, 2011

Hello there! I'm Kristina from Lovely Morning, popping over to share a recipe that Jora actually shared with me a few months ago. Keeping with the summer food theme that Alice began on Monday (who knew we'd be so coordinated!), I have one very delicious veggie burger to share with you.

I've updated Jora's go-to veggie burger recipe a bit, because 1) I can't ever seem to keep my sticky fingers off the specifics of a recipe and 2) I'm always looking to cram more veggies and protein into food that my 16 month-old son will eat... I'm sure you mamas can relate?

I spent much of last summer trying to perfect a recipe of my own, before ultimately burning out and giving up on it entirely. But I'm happy to report that this one is staying in the family and will be a staple this summer in our backyard. It's decidedly old-school vegetarian... with no tofu or soy or frilly things. Just simple ingredients and lots of cheese, which it turns out might be the magic I was missing last summer. I added carrots because I like them and summer squash because I add summer squash to everything this time of year, due to the perpetual bumper crop that comes with growing your own zucchini. And I encourage you to toss in any and all herbs you might have in the garden or your fridge. I used parsley, thyme, oregano, even a bit of lovage.

I think if you follow the basic framework (and don't skimp on the glue - the cheeses and eggs), you could add all sorts of things to this with fantastic results. Chopped kale, beans, whatever!



The perfect old-school veggie burger
(Adapted from the Columbia Bar and Grill in Hollywood, way back when. According to Jora.)

1 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms
1 large clove smashed garlic
1/2 cup chopped green onions
2 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 carrot, diced smallish
1 small summer squash, diced smallish
1/2 cup regular rolled oats
3/4 - 1 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup each shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, or all of 1 kind
3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
3 tablespoons low-fat cottage or ricotta cheese
2 large eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
various chopped herbs from the garden
Salt and pepper
Toasted buns or bread
+ whatever you like to dress your burgers in



In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium heat, cook mushrooms, garlic, green onions, carrots and squash in butter (plus a bit of sea salt and pepper), stirring often, until vegetables are limp, about 6-10 minutes. Add oats and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool slightly, then stir in cooked quinoa, mozzarella, cheddar, walnuts, cottage cheese, eggs, and herbs. Add salt and pepper to taste.

On an oiled 12- by 15-inch baking sheet, shape into 8 patties, each 1/2 inch thick. You might need to cook them in two batches. Broil 3 inches from heat until deep golden, turning once. The original recipe says 6 to 7 minutes total, but I think mine took almost 15 minutes last night. So watch them closely and flip them when you see fit. But definitely don't over cook them. Made that mistake the first time.

We ate ours last night with mayo, mustard, ketchup, avo, tomato, lettuce, pickles, red onions and radishes. I would have added sprouts if we'd had them. Cheese seemed like overkill due to the amount in the actual burger, but we've definitely doubled up before.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy! I will definitely have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you posted this - I have been meaning to make these! Nice photos too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh YUM. I love quinoa, and this veggie burger sounds amazing! I'll have to add it to the menu at our next barbecue party :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Alice - they really are the best I've tried at home so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so good! Thanks for posting the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been wanting to try a veggie burger recipe for quite a while, but haven't yet. I can't wait to try these... and I love that it's a recipe that was adapted/approved by both *you and Jora! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to try this! I had an incredible, non-soy Veggie Burger in Chicago a few months back and want to try to recreate it. This might be a good starting point. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...