Granola My Way.

June 9, 2011

{i love this photo just because of the yogurt hanging out on c-man's face}
I realize that title may qualify as Most Boring Ever, but I am tired.  Little E has been waking every night at around 4 (or 3:30 if we're talking about last night!) asking for "nuh-nuh!" and "mama hold! mama hold!"  Which I do not do until the *civilized* hour of 5 a.m., doesn't she know that??  Then, I don't go back to sleep, the other kids are up and ready to party at 5:45 or 6, and there you have it.  TIRED.

Anyway, back to the recipe.  Because you need this recipe.  Although I do buy granola from time to time out of sheer laziness and a tendency to be seduced by almost any Trader Joe's product, I always regret it.  Way too sweet and not tasty enough to warrant the calories.  And yet, we need granola in this house.  My kids, if asked what they want to eat (which I don't very often), will 99 times out of 100 respond, "YOGURT AND GRANOLA!!"  (Or "yo-durt and bee-nola" if you ask JuJu....)  I don't give it to them for every meal (although I am tempted, believe you me), but they usually end up eating it for one meal plus one snack per day....I am guessing anyway.  So, I had to come up with a recipe that didn't make me cringe at the sweetness factor and it, of course, had to be tasty because that is what we are about in this house.

{nice and clumpy, see?}
Enter five plus years of trying recipes that leave me....unimpressed?  unexcited?  I like a nice clumpy granola (which usually means a lot of sweetener), I like a lot of nuts and seeds, and not much, if any, fruit.  A friend of mine lent me her Whole Grain Baking book (which I love and am very sad to have to return!) and the recipe for the Maple Granola (with my modifications) is my standard now.  I've made it a bunch of time and the kids are plowing through it at an alarming rate.

Granola My Way
(adapted from Whole Grain Baking)

7 c. old-fashioned oats
1-2 c. unsweetened flaked coconut
3/4 c. flax meal
3/4 c. almond meal (this is my secret ingredient and very important, methinks)
1-2 c. sliced almonds
1 c. walnuts, chopped coarsely
1 c. sunflower seeds
1/4 c. sesame seeds
1/2 t. sea salt
1/2 c. maple syrup
1/2 c. brown rice syrup
3/4 c. vegetable oil (I use safflower oil)
1 T. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.  Combine oats, coconut, flax, nuts, seeds and salt in a very large bowl.  Mix well.  In a separate bowl, whisk syrups, oil and vanilla.  Pour syrup mixture over dry mixture, stirring and tossing with your hands until everything is well combined.

Spread granola over two parchment-lined baking sheets with rims.

Bake 2 hours, stirring after an hour or so.  Let cool completely and store in airtight container at room temperature.  Makes a ton.

You can add dried fruit after the granola has been baked and cooled.  I leave it out because I think it is sweet enough and my kids eat tons of fruit anyway.

Also, I know there are a lot of other recipes out there with less sweetener, but again, I like the clumps, which requires a certain amount, and the natural sweeteners in this recipe are hopefully better than regular sugar (that's what I tell myself anyway).

16 comments:

  1. That looks beyond delicious, 2 jars, please!
    Happy day, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will absolutely be making this - looks and sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the recipe! we're big fans of granola at our house too, and like you, I don't usually like the options at the stores.

    there is an adorable little cafe and bakeshop here in chicago called Milk + Honey, and it has pretty much the best granola. EVER. I daydream about this stuff.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great recipe! I make granola all the time with peanut butter, apple sauce and syrup. It needs more clumps though... going to experiment with that brown rice syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to try it! I haven't had much luck with homemade granola because I like the clumps, too. (I can't figure that hang up out, but oh well...) I had been forcing my mom to bring granola from The Cottage in La Jolla, but maybe she won't need to do it anymore...

    Have a good weekend!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi there. i'm enjoying your posts.

    i wish i could get Miss 3 to eat granola. she has porridge so i ought not to complain. i love that this is with almond meal, excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM... Trying this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the mention;) I think you would like the quinoa cereal as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love homemade granola. I think it is so much better than the store bought stuff. This looks great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yummmmmmmm, I love homemade granola! The store bought stuff is.... nasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. yay! this looks amazing! i have a similar recipe, but your addition of almond meal is genius! i will have to try this next time :)
    i sometimes switched out the oat flakes for spelt flakes...but i was living in CH when i did that. i'm assuming they have spelt flakes here though as well, no?

    ReplyDelete
  12. this looks amazing!! i am printing this out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Homemade granola knocks store bought out of the park any day!
    I'm a big fan of Melissa Clark's recipe in the NYT for olive oil granola. I just put half the amount of olive oil and less than half of the sweeteners (maple syrup and brown sugar). It's not a clumpy granola, but infinitely adaptable otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That granola looks amazing! I've been using the Barefoot Contessa recipe for years and I might be ready to move on. Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jora,
    Long time reader, but very rare commenter, here. Just wanted to tell you I love, love, love your granola recipe. It's the only one I use now that I found it. I never save it after I print it out each time, and when I searched for "granola" just now, it didn't come up, and I started to freak out just a little bit. :) A search under your "recipe" label turned it up though. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...