Looking Forward to Summer Food.

June 20, 2011

Grilled corn, ready for mayo and cotija cheese!
Hello!  This is Alice, filling in for Jora again while she and her family are lounging on their favorite beach in the South of France!  When Jora asked me to post something here, she suggested the theme of summer, so I thought I'd talk about some of the summer recipes I'm looking forward to making in the next few months.  We don't really get our hot weather here until late July and August - around here, those are the days of popsicles, ice cream, tomato salads and grilled corn.
summer foodsWhen I think about summer food, the first thing that comes to mind is a tomato and burrata salad - thick sliced heirloom tomatoes, sprinkled with sea salt, drizzled with olive oil and a tiny bit of good balsamic and topped with torn basil leaves and chunks of fresh burrata or mozzarella.  There's almost nothing I'd rather eat when it's hot.  Except maybe ice cream, but I guess that's not really fair.
summer foods
We also eat a lot of chilled cucumber soup when it's really hot - which Jora introduced me to a couple of years ago.
super local bbq 017
The summer stone fruits haven't shown up in the markets yet, but when they do, I will definitely be making this  Peach and Creme Fraiche pie again.  If you're going to turn on the oven, you certainly want it to be worth while, and this recipe is easy and delicious.  Lemon Meringue pie is another favorite - the Joy of Cooking recipe is perfection.
Peach and Creme Fraiche Pie
I might also try my hand at lobster rolls this year for a little taste of the East Coast. They were everywhere in NYC last fall, but they're kind of hard to find here.

Some other tried and true favorites I'll be making -  Ian's Fresh Tomato Pasta, Farmgirl Susan's Tomato Pie, Zuni's Roast Chicken with Bread Salad (just go outside while the oven is on!), Chocolate Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, Summer Pudding and Fried Squash Blossoms.

For more inspiration - check out Mark Bittman's list of 101 Simple Summer Salads, or Deb from Smitten Kitchen's Summer archives.   I predict you'll be craving fried chicken and blueberry pie in no time!

10 comments:

  1. Me too! although I am already eating summer food haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. Such pure goodness here!

    First up on the list... peach and creme fraiche pie- without a doubt.

    And I've never tried cucumber soup, but we've been getting lots of cucumbers in our csa box, and have some now in fact. (maybe that'll need to come first :)

    Thank you for the great recipe ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking shoe, nice leather.Tory Burch Shoes These shoes are so comfortable and they go with everything.Tory Burch Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of this food just made me crazy for summer! Now I don't want to go to work. I just want to bake/cook/BBQ and be outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a hot day in SF today... where are my cucumbers! that soup is now at the top of my list. Well, maybe right behind popsicles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh YUMMMMM. i have to try that peach and creme fraiche pie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alice, that tomato salad is making my mouth water- my early girls are in but that's about it for now, can't wait for the rest of the crop! Great post ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cucumber soup has got my number too. Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As usual, I'm starving after your posts, Alice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a visual person, so I just can't believe those images, they are perfect. Seriously. I would like to taste it, specially that lovely chilled cucumber soup. It's going to be my next dish. Indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...