Ten Things Making Me Happy.

February 19, 2009

I think it's about time for another one of these lists. I find it keeps my focus in the right direction, it sort of chronicles what's going on in our lives, and what can I say, I LOVE MAKING LISTS.

1. Being back online -- sort of. We have suffered through many a computer problem in our house over the past week, which makes for cranky hubby (can't do his work) and cranky mommy (feels like isolated 1950s housewife with no one to talk to in the middle of the day). But. We are back online thanks to a new router. Whatever that is. Still having some lingering issues though. May not be posting regularly for awhile. Grrr. Wait -- this is a Making Me Happy List! Almost forgot.

2. Spectacular sunrises. One of the (ONLY) benefits of having early-risers for offspring is that you get to see sunrises, which, I don't care what anyone says, are hands down more beautiful that any sunset I have seen. Even your run-of-the-mill 6 a.m. sunrise is breathtaking. I must admit I had not seen too many sunrises pre-kids, but they are now a part of my life. Did I mention I am trying to stay focused in a positive direction?

3. This darling cactus pot Ryan made and brought over the other day. I love that yellow pot. It makes me smile. By the way, check out Ryan's blog.
4. Our citrus trees are blooming and that means the most intoxicatingly sweet scent is perfuming our yard. It reminds me of being in Palm Springs in the springtime. Geez, I love this time of year.

5. Which leads me to my next item. Freshly-squeezed juice. I'm not a huge juice person, but lately B and C-Man have been juicing tangerines and grapefruits and boy oh boy. Is that stuff ever hitting the spot. Soooo tasty in the morning or for an afternoon pick-me-up.

6. Trader Joe's Meyer Lemon Cookie Thins. A new discovery. These make the perfect sweet tart snack in the afternoon with a cup of tea.

7. Our bedroom at this time of year. It faces south, so it gets the direct sun in the early afternoon, which would make it, in theory, the perfect place for a mom to catnap. (Not that I would know anything about that. You try getting two kids to take simultaneous naps!) But it sure does have that perfectly cozy feel that I can appreciate....napping or not.

8. Mothering Magazine. Every time I'm about to give up on the whole mothering thing (which lately has been about every afternoon at around 2 p.m.), I read something from this magazine and it gives me that little nudge in the right direction. It reminds me why I'm doing this in the first place. If you have never picked an issue up, you should.

9. Reading The Joy of Living. This is a book I think I first read about on Emily's blog quite awhile ago. I ordered it and then it got buried under a bunch of magazines and other books for many, many months. I know this isn't everyone's thing, but if it happens to be your thing, I highly recommend it. I can't wait to get into bed at night to read it.

10. Last, but not least, our house was chosen as --get this -- Home of the Year (!) in a local house and garden magazine. We were sort of trying to keep it a secret for some reason, but people have emailed and called us after seeing it: "Why didn't you tell us??" So, there. Now you know. :)

12 comments:

  1. Ok, first of all, welcome back, my friend. If I wasn't going to see you tomorrow I may have really started to worry.

    Secondly, I am very interested in those lemon wafers. I'm not such a super sweet gal but the lemon touch may just hook me.

    Lastly, CONGRATS on the Home of the Year! Not at all surpised but sending well wishes nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jora - So glad to see that you're back. We've missed you. So exciting about Home of the Year!! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That book looks interesting. I'm reading one in a similar vein called "The Places that Scare You". Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great list. i love that yellow pot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking of emailing you to see if you were okay, and was happy to see that you have posted. I love your list, and thrilled about your home's magazine honor. Well-deserved.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love that your whole backyard smells of palm springs. i completely know that scent and i'm extremely jealous. loved this list, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. which mag and what month? I must pick it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE lists too! Congratulations on having the Home of the Year!! Now, I'm going to start my list...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky you, drinking fresh-squeezed citrus juice. Perfect way to start the day. I'll have to ask you which magazine too. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! So happy to see you back!

    And home of they year? Woohoo. Congrats! What may is it? Can I buy a copy up my way in SF?

    ReplyDelete
  11. CitySage....it was in San Diego Home and Garden. Probably not a big seller up in the Bay Area! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Home of the Year! I'm not at all surprised. :) You should totally post the article since for those of us who won't see the mag. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...