New Salad Obsession

June 19, 2008


I am funny about food. I rarely get excited to make recipes more than once, but every once in awhile I will become obsessed with a dish and make it days and days in a row. This rarely happens, but it happened this week. On Tuesday night, we had an all-around lovely meal at Supper Club, but the salad was what I couldn't get enough of. While furiously stuffing my face, I asked Wendi how to make it. I proceeded to go to the market the very next day and buy all of the ingredients. I highly recommend you seek out wild arugula. The taste difference is huge. We are lucky enough to have a garden that is spilling over with the stuff right now, so this recipe came just in time.


Arugula Salad with Grilled Peaches and Goat Cheese
(from Cooking Light)


1 salad-bowl full of arugula, preferably wild

3 peaches, sliced (not too thick, not too thin)

a walnut-sized nub of goat cheese (I like Laura Chenel)

3-4 slices prosciutto

1/3 c. olive oil (approximately)

1/3 c. balsamic vinegar

2 T. honey


Grill peach slices until grill marks appear. You want the peaches to stay firm. Saute the prosciutto in a skillet over medium-high heat for a couple of minutes (until crisp). Crumble when cooled. Bring balsamic vinegar and honey to a boil in a saucepan and simmer until reduced by half -- it will thicken slightly. Cool. Toss arugula, grilled peaches and olive oil in a salad bowl. Toss again with the cooled vinegar mixture. Crumble goat cheese and prosciutto over the top and serve. Oh my goodness, this is good!

5 comments:

  1. Got the ingredients today and can't wait to try it (probably on Friday night's menu). Yummy!

    By the way, what else did you delight in at Supper Club?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had watermelonade (spiked, but of course), pulled pork sandwiches with coleslaw, corn on the cob with herb butter, french potato salad and banana cream pie. It was a "Summer BBQ" theme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This WAS really good - you should send Wendi your link! She's a really good cook, she always comes up with something tasty and she does lots of good meatless dishes - she says it's because she was raised by hippies - in Texas of all places! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, when I find a new recipe I like to try it over and over again until I get it just right. After three attempts I can say this is going to be a standard offering from my kitchen. Thanks for sharing it.

    In addition, I suggest the following:

    1. Buy very firm almost unripe peaches. They will hold up better on the grill.
    2. I put the reduction sauce on while it was still warm and it slightly wilted the arugula and warmed up the cheese.
    3. I also recommend using much less oil than the recipe calls for, it just did not need it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried your salad over the weekend. It was great... a hit with the hubby too. I'm thinking the next time I make it I may add grilled ( from the bar-b-q) red onion.
    I look forward to more obessions.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...