Lunch Ideas for C-Man.

September 8, 2009

C-Man heads back to school later this week. I sat down with him yesterday afternoon to brainstorm about some lunch ideas. He can be a bit picky, so it was good to list all the things that we could think of that he likes and that are healthy. The list was actually pretty extensive and I know I will come up with more ideas as time goes on. Here it is so far:

Peanut Butter Balls (something my mom used to make for us...we mix peanut butter with dried milk powder and a bit of honey or agave syrup, then roll in carob powder, sesame seeds, coconut or ????)
Edamame
Crackers with hummus
Veggies with hummus or "brown dressing" (green onion, carrots, cucumber, bell pepper, radish, etc.)
Muffins: bran, applesauce, zucchini
Fruit with yogurt dip (I mix plain yogurt with a bit of honey and cinnamon)...he likes pineapple, mango, apple, melon, peaches, grapes, bananas, berries, etc.
Ham sandwich
Peanut or almond butter sandwich
Chicken sausage
Chicken drumstick
"Rolling eggs" (a.k.a. hard-cooked eggs)
Quesadilla with salsa
Nuts and dried fruit
Pretzel sticks with applesauce or peanut butter for dipping
Yogurt with flax
Pizza
Leftover pasta

I have been very inspired lately by Joslyn's new-ish blog "Raising Foodies" chronicling her journey to get her girls to eat more and better foods. Also, I love looking at Wendolonia for lunch ideas (she makes the cutest bento box lunches for her son!!).

Where do you go for kids' lunch ideas? What do your kids like for school lunches?

13 comments:

  1. jora thank you for a couple of ideas!! I have been wrestling with lunches since my 4 year old started back. You should be proud of that list! mine said... "steak or cookies" it's so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for these! We just started packing lunch for preschool, and it's so much harder than I expected, particularly since preschool is "no nuts allowed" when almonds and peanut butter are his most reliable protein sources. I've been packing a lot of macaroni and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to check out the links. I have had a challenging 2 weeks of school after learning we're in a nut free class, too. Ava eats like 5 things and nut butter is one of them! You can only make cheese sandwiches so many different ways. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. This is a real problem for me. I love to cook, and I make new things pretty much every week. (Many times I try things that you post on your meal-planning Mondays; miss those, BTW.) But my son is picky. He is hypersensitive to textures. I tried to get him to eat a piece of peach yesterday, and he actually vomited after taking a second bite. It's miserable. I'm hoping that he'll grow out of it soon so that I can pack more than just peanut butter sandwiches (he doesn't like jelly) and yogurt for school. Thank goodness for multivitamins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha! thanks for the shout out at the bottom of this...i was just reading along thinking how c-man is my little kid food hero with all the yummy healthy things he eats!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely check out Bento blogs...if you make his lunch with him, he's so much more likely to have ownership over what he eats.

    http://justbento.com/

    is one of my favorites...some of them do get super complicated, but if C-man likes making them, then it can be a fun "chore" for both of you...

    As far as no nuts allowed protein sources, my little brother (who's one of the kids with the allergy) cannot eat legumes, but these are okay for other kids to have. So things like hummus are all right, as well as what I call chickpea smash! (basically, chickpeas with lemon juice, parsley, other things - whatever you have lying around). Then smash with a potato masher. You can also do meatballs, or if vegetarian, dumplings usually go over well. A high protein grain is quinoa, which can be equally delicious savory or sweet.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an impressive list!, My 4 year old likes yogurt, popcorn, arrowroot biscuits, grapes, vegimite, ham and cheese sandwichs. He also likes peanut butter and eggs, but schools in Sydney are egg and nut free. Pretty boring lunches for him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. loving that raising foodies blog! i am always looking for food ideas for maia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love all this back to school chat... makes me nostalgic :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another vote for www.justbento.com

    A lot of it is using leftovers and frozen stock (muffins etc) so easy to compile in the mornings. Today's lunch for my 2 year old was brown rice, sliced fried tofu, mushrooms with garlic and ginger sauteed in soy and mirin, and steamed greens (all leftovers and eaten cold). I hated sandwiches as a kid, especially Vegemite - the most common her in Australia, so I enjoy giving her the variety I never had.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh! Lots of good ideas on your list. I'm going to have to try the applesauce and yogurt dipper idea. I think my son might go for that.

    Thanks for the link, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I'm so envious that you can send peanut butter and nuts in your boys lunch. Here in Canada we are completely nut and peanut free which makes lunches a little challenging. Great list though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your healthy lunches, I'm an elementary school teacher and you wouldn't believe some of the crap people send in their child's lunch! Bravo to establishing healthy eating habits at a young age.

    Enjoying your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...