Sangria: The Perfect Summer Drink

May 29, 2008

I want to share an old recipe that has come with me to many picnics, lots of beach outings and countless dinner parties. It's one of those drinks that people always, I mean always, like. It is refreshing, yet potent, and not too sweet. I especially like to serve it to people who claim they don't like "fruity" cocktails. They are the ones that fall hardest for it. One side-note: this drink goes down very easily and sneaks up on you (especially when you are drinking it in the sun on a hot day).

Sara Moulton's Sangria

1/4 c. sugar

1/4 c. brandy

1 orange, halved and sliced

1 lemon, halved and sliced

1 bottle Spanish wine (I have used many different types -- all on the cheap side from Trader Joe's)

Put the sugar and brandy in a pitcher. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add citrus slices and pound with the back of a wooden spoon (or a muddler, if you have one of those). Add the wine. Ideally, let sit for at least one hour. Serve over ice with or without a splash of sparkling water.

{I will often make a second batch after finishing the first -- you will probably run out, like I said before -- by just adding the sugar, brandy and wine to the fruit at the bottom of the pitcher.}

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Jora. Just reading some of your old posts. What brandy do you typically like to use? I don't usually drink it so I'm not familiar with the different brands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know much about brandy either. For the sangria (which is basically the only time I use it), I just buy a cheap-ish bottle from Trader Joe's. I think they have one in the $10 range. It works perfectly. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...