A Great Gift For a New Mom

May 15, 2008


I figure I have a little bit of expertise in this area, having been a new mom and having given countless shower and new baby gifts over the years. This is a classy, beautiful and original gift...one that will stand out in a sea of onesies, receiving blankets and stuffed animals (don't get me wrong, those are all great -- and highly useful -- gifts). This is something that a new mom probably would not buy herself, but she will love it so much.
Yes, it is a "Baby Book" of sorts, but without the typical Winnie the Pooh type themes and cutesy graphics. The images are intimate and beautiful. The artist, Nikki McClure, uses an x-acto knife to cut her designs into the paper. The images are intricate and rough at the same time. Her website says her art is a "bold language that translates the complex poetry of motherhood, nature, and activism into a simple and endearing picture." No matter how many times I've looked at the pages in the journal, I am moved by the way she is able to capture the feelings of being a mother in such a simple and understated way.
Oh yeah, this book is so cheap I feel like I should send the artist a little something extra..... $12.95 at http://www.buyolympia.com/.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...