Stories From Italy: Where We Went.

September 26, 2010

So some of you have emailed me or commented asking about our trip and how did we do it with three kids what are your tricks how can I do it too and by the way where did you guys go? And seeing that we've been home for almost a month now and I've barely managed a blog post about the trip, I guess it's about time to share a bit.
First. I am not an expert in travelling with kids. We don't normally do it. I mean, we did when we had one child. That was easy. We went all over. He had his passport stamped more than I had by the time I was 21 (not that we were some huge world travellers, but he did OK is all I'm saying). But then he started walking and not wanting to sleep in strange beds and then he had a baby sister. The end.
Seriously, though, we have taken some trips with the kids. (When someone forced us to!) But, honestly, we did not find those trips very enjoyable. So, B and I decided we only want to travel with our kids while they are very young when it involves a place we really, really, really want to go. (And lots of alcohol is available. HA.) Italy passed muster for us. Also, we know we want our kids to be travellers so we can't let them figure out we are big chickens about the whole thing. So we decided in late June (pretty much on a whim) to take a trip to Italy. Like we decided and then the tickets were booked about 45 minutes later. We didn't want to give ourselves a chance to back out, you see (or be talked out of it by all of our very well-meaning friends and family!)
We knew we wanted to stay in one place and take daytrips (too much stuff to lug around, plus we thought it would be good for the kids to feel like they had a home). We also decided we didn't want to do a "countryside villa" vacation this time because we sorta already live in the country. We wanted to step outside our door and know we were in Italy. (Don't worry Italian Villa Vacation of My Dreams...I'm coming to get you sometime soon.  Very soon.)
 We didn't want to stay in a city that was too big (as much as we are both crazy about Rome, it freaked me out thinking about keeping tabs on three little people on those streets). We didn't want to stay in a town that was too small (we took a trip like that a few years ago and got bored with all the picture perfect small Italian "Disneyland" towns). So, we honed in on Lucca, which is in Northern Tuscany. Pisa has an International Airport about 20 minutes away. The town has something going on besides tourism. There is a lot of live music in the summer. The daytrip possibilities were good. Lots of families live there.
Fortunately, Lucca ended up being perfect for our family and we fell absolutely IN. LOVE. WITH. IT. We can't wait to go back.
To be continued....

16 comments:

  1. This trip looks like heaven. I think you did it right with the homebase and day trips. My husband and I have talked about doing that with the kids and it sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. loooove this post so far. can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I know how you did it - you kept them busy eating gelato the whole time! :) I am a huge fan of the home base trip - that being said, I'm also dying to get a car and drive around all over Europe for a few months (or maybe even bike/walk part of it.) Ahh, the possibilities of travel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos are gorgeous! My husband and I went for our honeymoon and I am dying to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kids can't be any cuter!! I LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. super inspiring! Can't wait to hear more. Our summer journey (2-hour plane flight) was exhausting, so I am eager for your secrets and tips! Already jotting down: non-stop gelato. Check.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What gorgeous photos. I can just picture you packing all those cute little outfits for three little people, daydreaming about the Italian adventures they would have . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. i LOVE juju's bathing suit in the last pic. Too cool for school. I actually was hoping to pick your brain about where you stayed. The kids have a long weekend next week and we were thinking of going to Lucca for three nights? Any good suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait for part 2... and I am now craving gelato:).

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband and I stopped in Lucca for a day on our Honeymoon and loved it! Looks and sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow you have beautiful children, and with Italy as the backdrop makes it them that much more beautiful. Lucca sounds amazing. Thank you for sharing these! Bello!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The photos have such character. They could be decades old. And what could be more kiddo friendly than a gelato at every turn? I hope you two indulged as well.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, they are really busy eating lollypops and gelato. Yummy (for gelato). :-)

    Great photos. I really enjoy reading and watching...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ava regularly brags about how she "once ate gelato for breakfast, lunch and dinner" when we hiked the Cinque Terre. :) I love Italy and these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you enjoyed Lucca...The Marchese Family

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...