Please Meet My Friend....Romesco.

July 5, 2010

What can I say? I LOVE THIS SAUCE. It makes me happy. It goes on everything. It's always happy to see me. Wait. Never mind.

Confession: this version is the only one I've tried (making or eating). I wanted to make Deb's one evening last week, but alas I was fresh out of ancho chiles. Ha. So, a little research on the Internets led me to a recipe which did not require me to go to the store. And you know what? It was perfect. I urge you to try it. On roasted baby potatoes. Spread on grilled bread (drizzled with a little extra olive oil). As a dip for vegetables. On grilled shrimp. Perhaps on a spoon straight from the bowl. Just sayin'.

Romesco Sauce
(Tyler Florence)

3 tomatoes, halved
10 garlic cloves
2 slices crusty bread
1/2 cup whole almonds, with skin
1/2 cup hazelnuts
1 pimento or roasted red pepper
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
3/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons kosher salt
3 tablespoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Arrange the tomatoes, garlic, bread, and nuts on a baking sheet; roast for 10 to 15 minutes.
Transfer to a food processor and pulse to roughly break up. Add the pimentos, vinegar, oil, and paprika. Pulse again until well combined, add salt. This sauce is best if allowed to rest so the flavors can meld (may be made a day in advance).

photo via chef a la porte

14 comments:

  1. how funny, I just added the link within thing too ;) I can vouch for this sauce - it was so good on grilled bread with steamed mussels! Glad to have the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm. Tyler is one of our favorites (Plus- an added bonus- we met him at his store last summer...just as nice, and charming, in person too). I will definitely give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks delicious. i am definitely bookmarking it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious, I may or may not be drooling right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM!!!!!!
    This will make it to the menu this week fer sure!!!
    xo maureen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heart Romesco.... This is my favorite sauce that no one makes anymore. I bring it to parties and everyone asks what the heck is this? I make one small adjustment, saute the cubed bread in olive oil and garlic before adding to processor. It makes the bread hold a tender crunch.
    Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness. Now that. That I will make. Thanks!

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so ridiculously delicious. I'm going to need to try this recipe... stat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Putting this in my recipe box asap...now just need some free time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds wonderful! I have never made it, at least that I can remember???
    Will give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm, more than three ingredients. Looks complicated...make it for me????

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, I make Romesco all the time but I have not tried this recipe...I am having a Tapas party this weekend, Patatas Bravas might be in order. Your blog is beautiful. You and I have similar interests. I'll be coming back!

    Elena

    http://planandplay1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...