About the Bees.....

March 2, 2010

I don't believe I've mentioned that we are now beekeepers. I should clarify, B is now a beekeeper. I have nothing to do with it. You'd have to ask him to be sure, but we got the bees because, of course, we want our own honey. But also because they are good for the garden and fruit trees, and they are all-around really fascinating creatures. B likes to drill me with little "did you knows".... "Did you know a drone will live his whole life waiting for that one 8 minute mating episode he gets with the Queen? And then he dies?" (Talk about tragic love.) "Did you know a bee will fly everyday to work the same plant, sometimes up to two miles away?" (Talk about dedicated employees.)

Anyway, this whole thing has scared a few people (like B's friends who never expected this, um, side of B to exist....BTW, Hi! B's friends who lurk on this blog!!) The bee thing confuses others. My sister, for one, who came up the driveway one afternoon only to encounter B in his beesuit. She came in and said "Soooooo. You guys have bees now I take it?" But C-Man? He's not scared or confused at all. He doesn't go anywhere near the hive (which, don't worry, is tucked away on the hillside between some boulders), but he cannot wait to get his own mini-me beesuit. Which they sell. In his size. In catalogs like this. (Note the tagline: "Making beekeeing a family tradition since 1863." Uh, OK.) {And that would be, Yes. We have catalogs like this around the house now.}
{C-Man hanging in daddy's beesuit until he gets his own.}

{for a sweet little piece on beekeeping check out our friend Ian's blog and this article, also by Ian}

19 comments:

  1. Awesome! I am 1000% pro-beekeeping! What a fantastic (and unexpected) family activity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great bee keeper blog, too...
    http://beehousehives.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so fantastically, flippin' cool! Just another reason we need to make a move to your neck of the woods. Honey, eggs and citrus OH MY.
    P.S. a neighbor of ours in our current hood kept bees for pollination and home security (they lined his back fence) and boy oh boy did that honey flow, an overwhelming amount. Beeee prepared ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dad was a bee keeper when I was growing up! I lived to have tales to tell about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh - I don't think Christian has done beekeeping in SWPL yet - I must suggest it straightaway! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i must admit that you have such an intelligent husband. great hobby for intelligent people!!!
    sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you guys like this idea. I didn't quite get it at first, but now I love it. Plus, the suit is kinda sexy, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beyond jealous. I want a hive like nobody's business but I the neighbors are not quite so excited about my idea. Or the backyard chicken I've been dreaming of....

    Rats

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bee keeping is a life-long journey, one that your kids (and you) can learn from forever. I'm proud to be a good influence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful! I am just holding my breath until we find a house to buy and then...I've going to finally have my dream hives. I've been plotting this for years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ever since I read the book "The Secret Life of Bees," I have a newfound respect for them & they no longer scare me. This is awesome! I am excited to see what unfolds!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who knew? Our kiddo's nickname is Bee. He will have to suffice for us. But I wish your B all the best with his bees.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  13. ohhh, i was so hoping for bees this spring. but i think we'll concentrate on the baby for now. Bees next year for sure.

    My parents have bees and the honey is so delicious... and there's so much! My brother made Mead from the last round. yum.

    ps. one handed typing... not so efficient. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You must find a copy of City of Bees for C-Man and JuJu. It is a short and very well done documentary for children and my 2 1/2 year old is completely captivated by it. Our library had it and it is also available on Amazon. I’ve also heart great things about “Our Feathered Friends” which is about chickens. I know you’re not into too much TV viewing, but these are far from mindless junk.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both my kids love the bees (at least that's what they tell me). I think beekeeping is good for them...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can totally picture B wearing that suit! ;) Despite the fact that I'm allergic to bee stings, I think it is an awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Quirky maybe, but aren't we all! Good for him for going for the bees. And I love the idea of a mini bee keeper suit. It could double as a Halloween costume for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay for your family!!! We (ahem, my Hubby) are beekeepers too. Hubby bought our kids a bee suit too...I think they'll help more as they get older. Kinda scary for them after they get stung. ;-)
    But the honey....ooooh the honey! So worth it!
    <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...