Some Labor and Birth Inspiration.

October 8, 2009

In an effort to get geared up for this birth, I have been reading some past issues of Mothering Magazine. The other night, I re-read the interview with Ani DiFranco and remembered how much I loved this quote the first time I read it.

"I believe the act of giving birth to be the single most miraculous thing a human being can do and it is surely the moment when a lot of women finally understand the depth of their power and connection to all of nature. You think it can’t possibly be done, you think you can’t possibly take the pain, and then you do — and afterward you look at yourself in a whole new way. If you can do that, you can do anything....The memory of pain always recedes. The memory of triumph does not."

Isn't that nice?

Also, this birth story had me openly weeping tonight. For a good 15 minutes or so. I think it's safe to say there are WAAAAYYYYYYY too many hormones going on over here.

9 comments:

  1. that's a beautiful quote. i'm going to forward it to my sister who is due for her first baby in a couple months and she is currently FREAKING OUT about labour.
    thank you for sharing it and best wishes to you and yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. i'm not even going to TRY to check out that birth story as i had my own hormone-induced sob-fest earlier today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great quote and I completely agree! The natural birth of my baby was life changing and gave me so much confidence, understanding, and amazement of the way God designed our bodies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jora, you've given me a lot to think about these past few weeks. I've often been fearful of natural birth as my history is of having big babies, but this story was so inspiring! Blessings for your upcoming birth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I loved that article. That magazine makes me cry every month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a true quote... I couldn't agree more. Exactly what I feel about my son's natural birth. Such a challenging experience. But with the crucial help of my supportive and resourceful husband, we did it. And it was so worth it. The whole experience just made sense, if that makes sense.

    The other night, while entertaining my Aunt and Uncle, the inevitable topic of "more children?" came up. We're still open on the question, but I had to point out that I had such a wonderfully positive, grounding, healing experience in the birth, that it makes me want to do it all again. How could I not?

    Thanks for sharing all this and your journey to "the date" -- I hope you have a wonderful birthing day, as unique as the little person about to join your beautiful family. Hopefully you'll want to share the story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jora, I find myself thinking about you often, as you near the birth of your newest babe. I'm sending you my positive thoughts and prayers for a healthy, wonderful, joyful, triumphant birth experience! Thank you for sharing the link to my blog and that incredible video ;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great quote, and so true. When I'm working out or doing something physically demanding I remind myself that I have done the most physical thing ever, and I can do anything. It's so empowering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...