How I've Been Spending My Time. Plus a Cookie Recipe I'm Seriously Digging Right Now.

October 22, 2009

In case anyone has been wondering, this is what I do now. Stare at my baby girl while she sleeps. Yes, she is still in the sleepy newborn phase....nursing, snoozing, nursing, repeat. It doesn't last long, so I'm trying to savor every second. Besides, how could a mom not stare at that sweet face?? (I'm trying to work on the birth story so stay tuned if you're into that sort of thing...)

I realize most of you are not here for the baby-photo-a-day routine, so I am gifting you this super awesome oatmeal coconut chocolate chip cookie recipe. I consider myself an oatmeal cookie expert of sorts (not to be boastful or anything). I had one of those moms who baked cookies once or twice (three times maybe?) a week. And she regularly made different oatmeal cookie recipes. This is hands down the best version I have tasted. Super chewy just the way I like them. Let's just say I have eaten way more than my fair share of them over the past ten days or so. It comes from my sister's roommate who happens to be a little burgeoning domestic type herself: knitter, crafter, baker, you get the picture. Sadly, I have no photos to offer you because I only take photos of the baby now. (See above.)

(The only caveat I offer you is that she claims her measurements are "estimates." But my mom and I made these the other day and they turned out great.)


Erica's Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups brown sugar
2 large eggs
3-4 tbsp of milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 - 3 cups oats
About 2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup sweetened coconut

Preheat oven to 350. Grease baking sheet/ parchment paper. Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time, followed by milk and vanilla extract. Gradually beat the flour into the sugar mixture, add salt. Stir in oats, coconut and chocolate chips. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 mins. They will seem underdone, but that is how you want them. (I baked them at 325 degrees for about 13 minutes, but I think my oven runs hot. You might want to experiment baking these at different temperatures.)
(Little E likes them too!)

25 comments:

  1. Are you kidding? We'd love to see daily pics of beautiful little E! And new cookie recipes are always a plus. :) Seriously Jora, she is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a difference a week makes! At least she hasn't outgrown that adorable tongue move yet. I'd stare at her all day long if I were you too! We're about to make your cookies! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love an oatmeal cookie... and I ALWAYS love a cute baby photo. Keep 'em coming lady! She is beyond precious. Enjoy the quiet days of bliss and snuggles.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is incredibly beautiful. How could you take your eyes off that face! Congratulations on your newest addition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cutie patootie! I definitely need to hold her soon.

    I will have to try that cookie recipe. There's a hippie-ish cafe in Tustin called Rutabegorz that makes the BEST oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and I think they had a touch of coconut. I used to get them when I went up there for work, and I've been missing them ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Jora, how gorgeous are these piccies, I love how she sleeps with the tip of her little tongue just poking through her lips. I love that newborn stage, so keep posting these photos.
    Thanks for the recipe, I'll be trying it out tomorrow.
    Cheers
    Engracia

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello!!!! she is STUNNING!!!! OMH, seriously my ovaries ache just looking at her sweet little face. Enjoy:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ps. i for one totally come here for a baby a day photo post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She's just beautiful! (I for one love seeing pics of your kids). Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm here for the baby-photo-a-day...keep em coming! Glad you are doing well. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. she is just perfect. seriously, keep the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful baby and a chewy cookie recipe what more do we need in this life?!
    sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are both just delicious! You apparently have good recipes...for cookies and for babies.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on the beautiful baby! She is gorgesous. Did you forget the leavening for the cookies? I tried making them today and added 1 tsp baking soda. they were delicious! they remind me of ones my grandmother used to make long ago. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous: There isn't any leavening in the recipe, which probably adds to the gooey, chewy texture.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a precious baby!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  17. recipe looks great...but that baby. oh my!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i made the cookies - the best!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh she is so so sweet, love that newborn snoozy stage. Could you confirm for me what you mean by sweet coconut, is it dessicated (shredded) coconut? (commenting from Ireland)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Helen, yes, use shredded coconut. I actually used unsweetened and it still turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Jora, I may have to make a second batch already....first batch DEVOURED (by me and 3 hungry boys) YUM

    ReplyDelete
  22. I made the oatmeal cookies and they are delicious! So nice and soft and chewy. I also recently made the Pumpkin Brownies and they were delicous as well. Thanks for the great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just want to tell you that I'm so grateful to you for this recipe. Plus, whenever I head to the kitchen to make it I get to see sweet pictures of your precious little baby. It's a win, win.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...