Homemade Almond Milk.

January 31, 2012


I am not a huge player on the almond milk front.  I like it, I buy it and drink it from time to time (mostly in smoothies), but until today I had never tasted the real stuff (as in homemade).  I figured it would make a pretty big difference....and was intrigued to try it especially after reading Kristina's write-up the other day. But I have to tell you about this version because it is a bit different (not to mention dead simple), and ohmygoodness it was so good I drank that whole bottle in one afternoon.

The sweet and lovely and kick-ass Shelly invited me over this morning to make her version of Bitchin' Sauce (which I tweeted about a couple of days ago).  The sauce itself and the recipe is going to be discussed in its own post, so don't worry.  The brilliant thing about her version of sauce (besides being as delicious as the stuff we buy at our farmer's market!) is that you start by making a batch of almond milk and then use the leftover almond meal/pulp to make the sauce.  Love it!!

So, here's what you do if you want to taste the creamiest, loveliest, yummiest almond milk.  You are on your own to track down one of those cool French milk bottles however!  She gave it to me as she is purging her house of stuff in preparation for their move to Australia for a year.....I try to not hold that against her.  ;-)

Almond Milk

3/4 c. raw, organic almonds (I think she soaked hers for a few hours, but I can't be certain)
2 c. water
1 pitted date

Whirl everything in a blender for a couple of minutes.  Mind you, she used a regular old blender.....no Vitamix necessary.  Pass through a fine mesh strainer.  Don't squeeze...just let it drain out.

Shelly had this great tip: no need to buy the expensive strainers from a health food store.  Just buy one of these mesh paint strainers (you can pick them up at Home Depot).


I want to try adding a little cinnamon and maybe a little maple syrup as Kristina suggested....I can't imagine doing so would be anything but all sorts of loveliness!

14 comments:

  1. Mmm, almond milk has been on my mind lately, since Kristina's post. I'm a sucker for packaging, so your pic of this awesome gift convinced me I must, must make some! If only I could then move to Australia :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. I won't hold it against Shelly, but I might hold it against you now that you have that super cool bottle;) This is very simular to how I do it ala Roost.

    2 cups soaked raw almonds or hazelnuts (soaked 4 hours or overnight)
    4 cups filtered water
    2-4 dates soaked in warm water for about 5 minutes and pitted
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/4 tsp cardamon

    The rest is the same. I can't keep my hands off it either.

    Thanks for sharing. I had a sneaking suspicion that you could use the pulp for Bitchin' Sauce. Can't wait for that post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious. Must give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought to make my own! A little cinnamon sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you should try making macadamia nut milk! delicious xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. a date! i bet that'd be good.

    trying it next time...

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for sharing! Guatemala definitely lacks in everything... but powdered milk

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only use Almond milk and with everyone's posts lately about making it themselves, I guess I'd better get on board! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog is really the best, did You know that?
    I was gonna say that You should look over some raw food recipe (for healthier choice as You were saying in the other post for You husband) and this milk is a really good alternative for cow milk. When my father got sick, my parents went to the Hypocrate Healt Institute in florida for a couple of weeks and that's where I learned how raw food is really good for your body (the first time I heard of it was in a sex and the city episode!!). But I am aware that a 100% of the raw food diet is hard to make but I figure, the more You add to the diet the better it is. Here is my 2 favorites desserts:
    http://www.rawmazing.com/white-chocolate-dark-chocolate-raspberry-tart/
    this one is in french, but is really the best, I might try to find one in english.
    http://brutalimentation.canalblog.com/archives/2011/02/01/20273003.html
    Ok here it is in english for the lime tart with avocado (really good)
    http://domesticaffair.blogspot.com/2009/02/freezer-tarts-and-chocolate-hearts.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Made it tonight. So good. Much better then store bought.

    ReplyDelete
  13. how long does it last? also, i have heard that hardcore health nuts use only a certain kind of almond only available at OB People's. Anything to that?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Milk bottle can be found at Cost Plus... =) I just tried Almond milk today sans date. I think it needs the date ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...