Recipe Exchange.

October 15, 2010

Friends.  I have dropped the ball.  I signed up for a fall recipe exchange that Michelle put together and I.....have....nothing.  Boo, Jora, boo.  I had some really good ideas for things I wanted to cook and share with you, but it just didn't happen.  I've had a bunch of stuff going on this week, and well, I just didn't get to it. 

I will, however, share a recipe/technique for something that I make a least a couple of times a month all year long, but especially during fall and winter.  AKA "flu and cold season."  Homemade Chicken Stock.  Jewish Penicillin.  The best thing ever when you feel a cold coming on.  The only thing you should use in your recipes.  And, I'm sorry, the canned and boxed stuff just does not compare.
Homemade Chicken Stock

1 organic chicken (or the carcass and skin from a roasted chicken) (or pieces of chicken bones and scraps you've been diligently stashing in your freezer) (you should have 3-4 lbs. total)
1 carrot, scrubbed and cut in half
1 celery stalk (with the leaves, preferably)
1 onion, sliced in half (leave the skin on and it will give your stock a nice rich golden color)
a few sprigs of fresh parsley
a few whole peppercorns
a couple of garlic cloves, smashed

Put everything in the biggest pot you have and cover with cold water (the cold water will help leach all the flavor of the ingredients into the stock). Add a couple of tablespoons of salt. Bring slowly to a simmer. Skim and discard the foam that rises to the top for the first few minutes that it is simmering. Turn down the heat to the lowest possible setting while still maintaining a teeny, tiny simmer (if it boils too hard, the stock will be cloudy). Let it simmer at least 3 hours. I have been known to let mine go 6 or 7 and it just gets richer and better, if you ask me. Strain and let cool before storing in the refrigerator for a couple of days or the freezer for a couple of months.

Drinking this when you have a cold feels so right.  I don't know for sure if it does anything to the virus, but I'll take the placebo affect any day!
 
Be sure to check out all of the great recipes from the exchange!

12 comments:

  1. Have you ever let it go in a slow cooker? Might try that this weekend. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love homemade stock, but it's been a little while since I've made it...and I've been using the boxed stuff left & right. Since I'm stocking up, I'll need to make my own, this weekend.

    *No apologies necessary; this was a good 'save.' :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally not dropping the ball!! Everyone needs a good stock recipe and a good kick in the pants to actually make it from scratch ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right about the midicinal properties - garlic is an amazing antibacterial, I think the onion is similar, and we all know that chicken stock has medicinal properties!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a good reminder...I am almost running out and need to make some! I love how when something like stock is simmering away the house just feels so cozy...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never made it because it always seemed like Cooking 480 for someone like me who should enroll in Cooking 098 (which is less than 101, mind you). But that recipe seems easy enough even for someone remedial like me. Thanks!

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make stock every week for pastas and soups, I love your recipe! I am just thinking now, why on earth do I chop the veggies! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I make chicken stock all the time but I can't believe I never thought of putting garlic in it!! Of course it's a natural antibacterial and I use it a lot more when someone in the family is on the verge of developing a cold, but I should really try it next time I make stock. Now, I'm just afraid that the taste becomes too...garlicky. Is that so? My version also has a peeled potato and a tomato. I press the latter through a sieve: it just makes the stock more colorful and tangy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you make a zucchini salad with goat cheese? I'd be so interested to get your take on this dish...

    ReplyDelete
  10. so i literally just woke up wiht a cold. blah. ugh. ick. i rolled down to the kitchen with a sore throat, stuffy nose and visions of chicken soup dancing in my head. grab my coffee, turn on the computer and bam! thanks jora for reading my mind. going to start making this as soon as i finish my cap.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's placebo effect. No offense, I love your website, I just thought you should know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for homemade stock! I've made it in a slow cooker and have noted no difference between that and when I've made it on the stovetop. The bonus about the slow cooker is that you can leave the house!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...