Obsession: Citrus.

April 27, 2010

I am crazy in love with all things citrus right now.

It started about a month ago when our neighbor Joe -- an amateur citrus farmer with dozens of exotic varieties -- gifted us several big bags of these gems (including the out-of-this-world Barcelona Orange). Our friend Mira was staying with us at the time and we ate and cooked with oranges and lemons all week long. She made this Florentine orange sponge cake (no recipe, just by memory and feel...don't you hate when that happens and you can never get the recipe?), and then I made this insanely good (if I do say so myself) orange cornmeal cake made with olive oil and white wine. Truly to die for. Will share the recipe with you one of these posts....

Also, I can't get enough of the scent in our yard right now. All of our citrus trees are blooming. It is seriously the best scent in the world, no? Especially on a warm evening..... Ahhhhh.

Then. I became mildly obsessed with this darling clementine print that Jones is hanging in her daughter's nursery. Isn't it just the sweetest?

Finally, for now anyway, I just had to have the orange letterpress cards that Stephanie shared the other day on her most excellent blog.

clementine painting by jamie shelman

14 comments:

  1. citrus really is the best. a mood-lifter, thirst-quencher... and definitely makes for pretty art. Those prints make me want to carve up some potatoes and get crafty ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Citrus blossom is definitely one of my all-time favorite scents. Our citrus trees are just starting to flower and I'm hoping that the treacherous winds we are having don't blow them all away before I can enjoy the scented garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, would love if you posted the cornmeal cake recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with ya on the citrus craze! Not only the smell and taste, but also the happy colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We try to have at least one piece of citrus fruit each day. Unfortunately we have to purchase ours here in the NE. My daughters were just having a conversation yesterday at lunch about oranges and how they would like to go orange picking one day (we go apple picking each fall). They thought it would be great to visit California to pick oranges. Not sure they realize the distance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm feeling it for citrus of late too...i was especially jazzed to see 17 little meyer lemons forming on my little potted tree. up from 2 last year! amazing!

    love that print too!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are few smells in this world that are better than a blooming citrus tree or two or three...Mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  8. sliced oranges and lemons, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper and EVOO, placed alongside chicken bake covered for 30-45 mintues at 450 degrees and voila' yummy chicken and so moist!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great post!! I am definitely going to get in gear in planting 2 citrus trees in our backyard (currently have a potted dwarf tree, but have been really wanting MORE citrus!)...so thank you for the 'push' that you didn't even know you gave me! Also, just saw a great citrus centerpiece idea that I thought you might like if you haven't already seen it:)~~

    http://jordanferney.blogspot.com/2010/04/lemon-leaf-garland-diy.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew up in a neighborhood that used to be a citrus grove, so I also loove the smell of the blossoms in spring. I just ordered these great vintage citrus labels and framed them in my kitchen. So fresh and fun! http://www.funfindsformom.com/blog/juciful-and-splendid

    ReplyDelete
  11. the chix cones were delicious! hope you enjoy them. and citrus is lovely - you're right. i like decorating w/ lemons.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally loving that orange print too! We are definitely on the same page :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...