Food of the Gods: Fava Bean Purée.

June 5, 2009


Never mind it's worst photo you've seen on the internet all week. (Sorry, it was late and the lighting was terrible. Plus, I wanted to eat.)

I can't believe I've let the entire fava season pass without one post. You see, B planted some this year and we both agreed, unequivocally (a rarity for us!), that it was the best thing yet from the garden. We both live for these little emerald green jewels. They are a pain in the you-know-what to prepare (all that shelling, blanching and peeling for such a small amount), but boy are they worth it.

I didn't do much with them this year. I kept it pretty simple. Usually tossed with some fruity olive oil, crunchy sea salt and maybe a little mint. But for the last batch, just before B pulled the plants out to make room for more peppers and cucumbers this summer (we both shed a tear), I made this puree. I couldn't think of anything else to call it but what's up there in the title: Food of the Gods.

Fava Bean Purée, Green Acres Style

1 1/2 c. shelled and blanched fava beans
1/2 c. finely grated parmigiano reggiano (or pecorino romano)
1/3 c. (or so) very good extra virgin olive oil
s & p

Puree the favas and the cheese in a food processor. Drizzle in oil gradually until a spreadable consistency is reached. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve with grilled bread, drizzled with olive oil. Top with a thin shaving of parmigiano reggiano and a tiny pinch of Maldon sea salt. Complete the meal with some salami, olives and a nice rosé. It doesn't get better than this!!

Until next year, my beloved fava....

8 comments:

  1. yum! i've tried growing beans several times and have had no luck here. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it hard to grow fava beans?

    If I can't grow them I guess I can buy them. I've seen dried ones at the grocery store...any advice on how to prepare the dried ones?

    Thanks! DK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the worst photo was of Gwyn's greasy gams, although I do wish they'd leave her alone. This on the other hand looks absolutely divine. I want to dive in with about 50 pita chips. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i LOVE favas!!! i am super jealous that you grew them. they are my absolute fave - and i agree, a pain to prepare but totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. um, what time did you say we should be over? :) fantastico!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you tried pixie-goin's recipe for fava puree with olives, feta and garlic toasts? It makes fava-prep a joy. But truth be told: I think of things like fava-prep and risotto stirring as tasty, in-home therapy. Ommmm...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I noticed you didn't give any of these away - not that I would either! ;-) Something else to look forward to from the future garden!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jora! I just saw bought some steamed fava beans in the refrigerated section of Trader Joe's b/c I remembered your recipe for "food of the gods". BUT, the ones I bought are a brown color! - not pretty green. What gives? Any ideas?

    Hope you are feeling more cheery! This might help - we found out with our third pregnancy that we were not going to have three, but FOUR children! We just welcomed the twins into our family a couple months ago, but what a shock!

    Thanks! RR

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...