My Mom's Bran Muffins.

January 26, 2011



(Sorry it took me so long to fix this post. Not sure what was wrong with the last one. Hopefully you can read the recipe in this version. Let me know if you can't because I could always see it just fine on my monitor.....)

Two things. One, we haven't shared a recipe here in what seems like a very long time. Two, I know bran muffins aren't something most people get very excited about. But they should. At least when it comes to these.

You see, these are the perfect bran muffins (really, no hyperbole). And not just because they are the version my mom made ("mama makes it best!), but also because I think they are the perfect way to start your day. They are, of course, very, very delicious. Yet not so heavy or sweet that you feel guilty or get a headache (which is what happens to me when I eat "treats" for breakfast). Also, obviously, they are a bit healthy (hello....bran). Perhaps most excitingly (if there ever was something exciting to be said for a bran muffin), you can make a batch of the batter and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks (yes, 2 weeks!) for fresh from the oven goodness whenever your heart/tummy desires. Yay for warm muffins first thing in the morning without messing up your kitchen or having to deal with a bunch of measuring cups!

Ready-bake Bran Muffins
(from Sunset magazine, ages ago)

3 c. all-bran cereal (I never have this on hand so I use regular wheat bran with great results)
1 c. boiling water
2 c. buttermilk
2 eggs
1 c. safflower oil (or other light vegetable oil)
1 c. raisins (or chopped dates or currants)
1 c. sugar
2 ½ t. baking soda
½ t. salt
2 ½ c. flour
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine cereal (bran) and water. Stir until evenly moistened. Set aside to cool. Add eggs, buttermilk and raisins; mix well.

In a separate bowl, combine baking soda, salt, sugar and flour. Gently combine dry ingredients with wet. Do not over mix. (At this point, you may tightly cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks, baking muffins at your convenience; before using, stir batter to redistribute fruit.)

Bake in buttered muffin tins for 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Serve hot with butter. Because you can.

3 comments:

  1. I for one get VERY excited about bran muffins. Must try these, perhaps this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    I was so happy to see this recipe! I'm from Australia and just visited the united states for the first time and tried a bran muffin. HEAVEN! Especially as a side to a fruit salad and some cottage cheese. I will be sure to make these this weekend. Thanks for the recipe.
    X
    H

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...