Thinking (Still) About Schools.

December 13, 2010

Even though I L-O-V-E C-Man and JuJu's school, every once in awhile, my conformist/nervous nellie side comes out (a side that I really, really wish would go away forever) and I worry that C-Man isn't in a traditional kindergarten class learning, your know, how to write book reports and memorizing all the states that border Delaware.

But then I read/hear/watch something that makes me feel like he is exactly where he should be. (Seriously, you should have been there this weekend to witness the Advent Spiral ceremony at their school ....too hard to describe here, but trust me, it was so beautiful and moving and I just know C-man will remember it forever.)  My friend Sarah posted this video awhile back, but I didn't watch it even though I always intended to (it is 20 minutes long!).  Then Kim suggested I really should take the time to do so.  It is really thought provoking and inspiring.  (It gets better toward the end.)  So when you have an extra 20, check it out!  And let me know what you think......

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like your instincts are right on Jora. I teach kindergarten in a more "traditional" district and he was our guest speaker for a district wide staff development day last year. He is really wonderful to hear in person and we were talking a about it for a long time after. He definitely makes you think about what you want for your kids as far as education and question what is happening currently. BTW I'm wishing for some visuals of the "Advent Spriral ceremony"...i'm starting to wish I could go to C-man's school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this. I took my son out of a high performing arts based charter school because it was way too academic and structured for him. He is in first grade at his new school and I am a little concerned that most of it is a repeat academically but, he is so happy with the less structured environment and enjoys school now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny - I just watched this a couple of weeks ago - food for thought for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks interesting http://www.racetonowhere.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The longer I'm away from private school and the more I learn about alternative education - the more I love the decision we made. C-Man has plenty of time to learn how to write a report. He's smart, sweet, well rounded, worldly, thoughtful -- all the qualities a 5 year old should have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jora I've been thinking about this exact topic over the last week and am so glad I saw your post and watched the video. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...