Little Barista.

April 4, 2012

This past weekend, we were part of a garden tour.  There were hundreds of people who came walking through our yard.  Everybody was very nice and complimentary.  B had the idea to set C-Man up with a lemonade and cookie stand a couple days before the event.  So, the kids and I made 3 batches of brownies and huge jug of lemonade (B squeezed about 100 lemons with JuJu the day before the event).  C-Man decided on prices (25 cents for the lemonade and for the brownies) and made a sign. At the last minute, because the weather was cold and overcast, we added espresso to the menu (a dollar each, as daddy would have to make those to order).


As soon as the people started coming, we realized we were woefully under supplied, so I started scrambling and baking anything I could come up with (shout out to TJs pumpkin muffin and gingerbread mixes in the back of my cupboard! and to Alice and James for running over more supplies!).  In the end, we went through 2 giant vats of lemonade, 5 batches of brownies, pumpkin muffins, a pan of gingerbread, and a few dozen peanut butter cookies.  B thinks he made at least 40 espressos.  C-Man could hardly keep up with the orders, but he managed somehow.  It was so cute watching him serve and make change.  In the end, he made $104 (imagine if he had been charging 50 cents a piece for everything!).  The only downside we see to this is he will be ruined for all future lemonade stands.  ;-)

B is very excited about all of this because for a long time, he has had the plan to open a very tiny espresso bar (think a ten foot marble bar that opens right onto the street....sorta like this little wine bar in Florence) that serves only the very best caffé in town (profitability, thankfully, will not be a factor).  Now B has enlisted his son's assistance (and experience!) and the two of them plan to chat up the customers, teach them about good espresso and watch Italian soccer on TV all day.  ;-)  You will come and patronize our family business, won't you?  

24 comments:

  1. So cute! What a fun event for your neighborhood. Yes, yes...please open the espresso bar...we need GOOD espresso bars in the US!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to learn about business! I would absolutely buy espresso from B + C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very cute! That sounds like such a fabulous day filled with delicious treats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! That C-man. I'm SO there. I'm afraid Toby would never leave ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love his young entrepreneurial interest. I'm certain he could finally convert me to espresso. So charming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so there with bells on. Charlie just had the best lesson in economics. 1. find a willing audience 2. you need to increase your prices if you are selling out 3. do have all your supplies/labor donated so you have 100% profit :) love the overalls i think that will make a perfect uniform for said espresso bar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty sure I would drive out of my way to frequent your espresso stand before work. Please do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will be there every day, watch out!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Watch out, world! That's an awesome way to learn about business. What a cool experience!

    Anyone else curious to try one of B's espressos? Or is that just me?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! He looks so happy and excited...and it sounds like B was too. I have fond memories of my lemonade stands as a kid. Sounds like such a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This made me giggle. What a fabulous idea! C-man must have been over the moon with excitement (great pic!). Thanks for sharing Jora!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE THIS POST!!!! You are my favorite blogger to read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is so darn cute. and if i were in the SD area, i'd totally be a customer at b and c-man's espresso bar. the walk up ones from italy? im down with that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So much fun! They *must* open that espresso bar. Not only would our family patronize it, but my son would be omnipresent. Italian soccer all day? His idea of a dream... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think I could love this more, absolutely adorable

    ReplyDelete
  16. Garden tours are lovely! I've actually never been on one but I can't imagine they'd be anything but dreamy. Thanks for sharing these wonderful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love it! nolia has always begged me to have a lemonade stand so i'll have to follow your lead this summer and let her go for it. i'll suggest 50 cents/cup (:

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is too cute! I'd buy a coffee from that little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. love your blog! what kind of espresso machine do you have? we are in the market for one, but don't know much about them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's a gaggia classic....we love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, this little story just made my morning - not to mention that adorable photo of your little business man. What a funny and special experience and I love the idea of a walk up espresso spot. Genius.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...