a surprise concert night.

September 18, 2011

Sometimes B manages a very nice surprise.  On Friday night, he took me to see Bon Iver (3rd row center, hells yes!)....and it was sorta a perfect night in all the ways you hope for.  We stopped at our favorite spot to get some wine and a bite to eat.  Two seats at the bar were open.  We drank delicious Sancerre, ate mussels, steak tartare and a little cheese plate.  Then we headed downtown.  We parked the car, took a walk past the place we shared our first kiss nine-plus years ago and headed over to Spreckels Theater.  We walked in just as Bon Iver was going onstage.  Show was amazing.  Plus they played almost every song from their first album, which of course is how I fell in love with them in the first place.  The only slight disappoint I had was that I was sending them E.S.P. messages like crazy to play my favorite cover ever, but my frequency must have been off.   Usually when I try that hard things come through for me.  ;-)

But!  I found this new cover and it is as good IMHO.  I just love that slow tempo.  Plus I've had a soft spot in my heart for Bonnie Raitt since Nick of Time came out during my junior year of high school.  This song gets me in my core in all sorts of ways.  Oy.  I think I may have listened to this song 47 times already.  And isn't Justin's beard hot?

  

p.s.  bon iver is on instagram (@boniver)...thought you fellow IG addicts might like to know!

16 comments:

  1. I would LOVE to see him in concert! So happy you were able to go to the show. Did you read the article about him in the NYTimes Mag earlier this summer? I fell in love with him even more after this:

    "The meaning is in the melody, the texture, the implication. I’m not really asking you to hear what I’m saying too much,” he said, “because I would have spoken the words harder.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. 180/360: oooooooh, i love that quote. i love to just feel the music and not try to figure out what he's saying. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice surprise from your husband! Bon Iver is playing an outdoor venue here this weekend, I'm hoping to make it. That Bonnie Raitt cover gave me goose bumps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we saw him in 2009 i think. i so wish we were seeing him this time around. we really love his new album!! what an awesome surprise. wish i could have crashed it ;p

    ReplyDelete
  5. jora, that sounds like an amaaaazing night. so jealous. i am dying to get back to the concert scene. it's been awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. jora, i've listened to this like 5 times already and i only just clicked on your blog. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that song is gorgeous...
    and what a perfect night lady!! i love those kind of (rare) but utterly lovely date nights.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just saw them a couple of weeks ago. SO amazing! I was not prepared for how they would be live. I couldn't believe how vibrant and alive it all felt. I have not heard this cover before so of course I must have it but I truly love the series the did in Paris.
    And yes...the beard is smokin'.
    Best,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  9. First time I have heard him was here on your blog. I have listened to it now so many times. LOVE! Heading over to iTunes.

    I love date night. Wish it happened more. My husband is a musician. I am usually watching him. I love live music.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The food sounds like the best part to me. Mm.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is an amazing surprise! I love, love, love Bon Iver and I love, love, love Bonnie Raitt...thank you for posting the video! Reminds me of my freshman year in college. I played that song over and over again after a particularly angsty break up. I still love that song so much.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katie: angsty breakups are the worst! At least bonnie raitt and bon iver get it... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a romantic, fabulous surprise! I feel like such a square that I'm just discovering Bon Iver now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. that song has broken my heart in the best way since i heard it a couple of months ago. sounds like an amazing night. i can't wait to see him sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a wonderful evening. Hilarious about the ESP - I've totally tried that before (with mixed success).

    ReplyDelete
  16. omg, the outfield cover is, wow. it seems i have some music buying to do today.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...