Tomato Fennel Soup.

March 1, 2011

You guys.  This soup.  It is AMAZING.  You all love the tomato basil soup from Nordstrom Cafe, right?  I have to order it every time I go.  I like everything there (even the other soups!), but I always have to start with a cup of the tomato.  You too, right?

Well, I was in one of my rather thrifty use-what-we-have-before-going-to-Trader-Joe's moments and decided to try my own version (I have made their recipe before and it is delicious too).  No basil was on hand, so I adjusted the flavors and you know what?  I like this even better.  The basil can get a little tiresome and fennel?  Well, I just love fennel.

And yes, this is the perfect soup to serve alongside a grilled cheese on a stormy day.  With a fire in the fireplace.  And some peanut butter cookies baking in the oven.  Just sayin'.

My Tomato Fennel Soup

2 T. olive oil
2 T. butter
1 large onion, chopped
4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
1 small fennel bulb, chopped
2 (or so) cloves garlic, minced
2 28 oz. cans good tomatoes
1/2 c. water
1 sprig fresh thyme
1/2 c. cream (or so)

Saute onions, carrots and fennel in butter and olive oil over medium heat in large Dutch oven.  Stir often.   You don't want color on the vegetables, just to soften them a bit.  After 5 minutes or so, add the garlic and cook for about one minute (don't burn the garlic!).  Add the tomatoes and their liquid along with the water and thyme.  Simmer gently for about a half hour or so, to blend the flavors.  In batches, puree in a blender (or use an immersion blender).  Add cream and salt and pepper to taste and reheat gently.

Take that Nordy's!!

8 comments:

  1. I'll definitely try it- this week... sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this sounds so good. I think that fennel and leeks are too underutilized when it comes to cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I can't wait to try it. There is sooo much fennel in our local food co-op...I've been wracking my brain trying to think of recipes in order to take advantage of it!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am soooo excited to try this! It's a JORA ORIGINAL!!! LOVE IT!!! :)
    Miss you my friend...sending lots of LOVE your way! XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds delish! Gotta love the ease of an immersion blender.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO love the soup at Nordy's. Can't wait to try this one!
    Best,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect timing, mama! I have fennel in my refrigerator that needs to be used.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...