Something.

March 16, 2011

I'm sure I am not alone right now when I say it is difficult to keep a positive outlook given recent events around the world.  The devastation in Japan and the looming nuclear catastrophe has been keeping me wide awake at night.  There really are no words.....  And then hearing about sweet Maddie's passing on Sunday night... well, life feels particularly cruel right now.  Sorry to be such a downer, but I don't know how to talk about much else.  I did see this poem this morning on Sarah's blog, and something about it really resonated with me.  Maybe it can help you in some tiny way too.

"After the Winter" by Claude McKay
Some day, when trees have shed their leaves
And against the morning’s white
The shivering birds beneath the eaves
Have sheltered for the night,
We’ll turn our faces southward, love,
Toward the summer isle
Where bamboos spire to shafted grove
And wide-mouthed orchids smile.

And we will seek the quiet hill
Where towers the cotton tree,
And leaps the laughing crystal rill,
And works the droning bee.
And we will build a cottage there
Beside an open glade,
With black-ribbed blue-bells blowing near,
And ferns that never fade.


image credit

4 comments:

  1. It is a truly beautiful poem. And your words are so true and so honest. I feel the same - and I can't sleep either. I'm realizing how everything changes when you have children. I feel guilty thinking that this is the world they will know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want that poem to be real in the here and now. i clicked on your link about maddie and really hadn't heard anything about it until now - oh my gosh. my heart is breaking for her poor parents. i don't understand it! i don't!!! though i think i just need to stop trying to.. but how i would love to give them a great big hug and take some of their pain onto myself. my goodness, there is so much pain in the world, sometimes (a lot of times) it shades out the joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your posts even the sad ones :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you, lady. I hear you. Days like these, my heart gets so, so heavy it hurts. Hugs to you and everyone everywhere. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...