Eggs for Dinner.

January 22, 2010

While the rest of you are doing your January cleanses and diets and juicing vegetables, blah, blah, blah, I have been eating whatever strikes my fancy. Salt and vinegar potato chips, dark chocolate covered caramels, chocolate cupcakes, freshly baked scones. But, it hasn't left me feeling all that hot. I hardly ever eat this way and I don't know what's going on. That's why last night I decided to take things into my own hands and prepare something a bit, er, healthier. B had come up with a bunch of fresh eggs (the chickens are laying more eggs finally!) and we had a bunch of asparagus from the farmers. A quick search on epicurious led me to this recipe and we were in business. Served it with a green salad topped with sliced carrots from the garden, avocado, green onion and pine nuts. Now if I can just stay away from the potato chips today......

photo by romulo yanes

7 comments:

  1. I made myself eggs with asparagus just the other night. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy! Will have to try that soon.

    On another note, going through my favorite bloggers' old recipes for some new cooking ideas ... and I saw that you mentioned a killer veggie burger recipe that you have ... will you please share? Been a veggie for 20 years, and yet to find a good homemade veggie burger recipe! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon: I was planning on doing a post (someday) about these veggie burgers. They are soooooo yummy!

    Columbia Bar and Grill's Grain and Cheese Burgers

    1 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms
    1/2 cup chopped green onions
    1 tablespoon butter
    1/2 cup regular rolled oats
    1/2 cup cooked brown rice
    1/3 cup each shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, or all of 1 kind
    3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
    3 tablespoons low-fat cottage or ricotta cheese
    2 large eggs
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley
    Salt and pepper
    Toasted buns or bread
    Mayonnaise, red onion rings, and lettuce
    In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium heat, cook mushrooms and green onions in butter, stirring often, until vegetables are limp, about 6 minutes. Add oats and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool slightly, then stir in cooked rice, mozzarella, cheddar, walnuts, cottage cheese, eggs, and parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste.
    On an oiled 12- by 15-inch baking sheet, shape into 4 patties, each 1/2 inch thick. Broil 3 inches from heat until deep golden, turning once, 6 to 7 minutes total. Serve on bread with mayonnaise, onion, and lettuce. Makes 4.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eggs + asparagus is my FAVE go-to quick dinner :)

    P.S. More pics of the kids, please! I miss them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for posting the veggie burger recipe ... definitely going to put them on the list of things to make next week! Sounds yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm...I love this! Eggs are one of my favourite foods, but I prefer them for lunch or dinner. I have a hard time eating eggs for breakfast. And over asparagus...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love eggs for dinner too. Quick, easy, and the protein gives me energy.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...