Insanely Good Salad Alert.

December 20, 2009

We have been making this salad non-stop for the last month. It started as a way to use up persimmons and pomegranates from our trees, but then began haunting us until we made more and more and more. B just made it again today. So I thought it was time to share.

Persimmon Salad With Cumin-Lime Vinaigrette
adapted from the L.A. Times

2 pounds Fuyu persimmons
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 serrano chile, seeded and minced
Salt
2-3 tablespoons walnut oil (I usually use olive oil)
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds (about 1/4 pomegranate)
3 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted (I used more)
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

1. Cut off the tough green calyxes and slice each persimmon in 10 to 12 wedges.

2. In a small lidded jar, combine the lime juice, cumin, about half of the chile, a dash of salt and the walnut oil. Tightly cover and shake hard to mix well. Taste the dressing on a small piece of persimmon. There should be just enough chile to add a suggestion of heat. If you'd like it hotter, add more and shake again.

3. Combine the persimmons and the dressing in a work bowl and toss to coat well. Turn the salad out into a decorative bowl and sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds, walnuts and cilantro. Taste and add more salt or lime juice if necessary.

7 comments:

  1. Woah. These are flavors I love, but the combo is very unexpected. Thank you for sharing, I will be making this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, I've been meaning to ask you for this recipe ever since you made it for me! I'm so glad you posted it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum yum yum. up here in the mountains and for some reason the grocer is full of persimmons. i've been eating them like mad... never in a million years would have thought of this combo but i'm desperate to try it now! thank you jora. as always, you pull through with the tasteful and unexpected!

    ReplyDelete
  4. as one who was lucky enough to sample this, let me say it is YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so bummed - I just had to toss a bunch of pomegranate seeds because I didn't get a chance to do anything with them and they started getting slimy. I even have walnut oil in the fridge! Will have to give this a try when they come back around. In the meantime I guess I'll have to console myself with the spaghetti squash and cauliflower that are ready for harvest right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so yummy.

    our persimmon tree is pretty much done for the season though. It's hard work fending off the birds, the squirrels and the neighbors.

    But we still have a few left on the counter. must try this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep coming back to look at this salad. I'm going to have to make it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...