How to Survive the First Seven Weeks.

December 3, 2009

With a newborn, two year old and four year old under one roof, that is.

1. Just Say Yes. Newborn babies tend to bring out the best in most people. And hopefully, for you, that means people in your world are going to offer to help. Need anything from the grocery store? Can we pick up C-Man for a playdate? I'm coming over to help with laundry and hold the baby so you can shower. Can I bring you dinner on Tuesday? That sort of stuff. I strongly urge you to say, "Yes, please, and thank you very, very much!" Even if it's not your nature to accept help from people, you are going to need it. And chances are, it won't be around forever. People sort of think you're OK at about 1 month in, and well, I'm not going to say whether that's true or not, but take it while you can get it. Enough said.

2. Make Friends With Your Stretch Pants. OK, it's not that bad. Really, what I should say is get yourself a nice, new, pretty set of loungewear because this is what you will be spending your time in. And it's OK. Really. This is a "transition" time, and besides, your days and nights might be mixed up for awhile, so loungewear can act as sleepwear or as an outfit appropriate to meet your friends at the front door for a much-needed big girl visit.

3. Become a Babywearer. If you haven't already been convinced of the miracle that is babywearing, START NOW. Every baby I know is calmer and happier next to mama, and with two other kids to tend to, you are going to need your hands free. (If you haven't heard, there is still much to be done even if you DID just grow and birth another human being: bottom wiping, dragging down the hallway of flailing toddlers, dinner cooking, laundry folding, picking up of toys, emptying dishwashers, husband tending, etc., etc., etc., etc.) There are days when I put the Hug-a-Bub on in the morning and it literally doesn't come off until night.

4. Remember That Babies Are Small For Too Short of a Time. I get a tear in my eye just thinking about this. By number three, you have learned that everything with kids changes so quickly. (The days are long but the years are short, remember?) So when it seems like you will never be able to get away just by yourself, or that you might never wear a non-fug non-nursing bra again, just think. This time next year, everything will be different. It's so true, so enjoy that little yummy baby as much as possible. She will be running away from you to play with her brother and sister in no time at all.

17 comments:

  1. I love this. It all rings very true. Glad you got a night out. We haven't done that yet and it needs to happen SOON. Though I don't know who would drive Caroline around for two hours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. This is all so true and I love it. My Jack just turned one and I get all teary looking at photos of him all tiny and newborn-sleepy. Glad you're pausing and enjoying...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice and that picture is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can your sister drive the baby around while you work on Part II of the birth story? I've been waiting to read how it ended. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this post. I recently found your blog and had a baby 2 days ago. I couldn't agree more and especially support the baby wearing. Did it with the first one, now almost 4 yrs old, and it was the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true, so true. I can't believe our newest little one is already a little over 3 months. She's going to be practically graduating from college soon, if time keeps racing in this manner.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! Thanks for the reality check ;)
    Love the picture of you and baby E.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what perfect advice. I've already started collecting new lounge wear.

    still waiting for your list of must have products, btw.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was a big fan of baby wearing! Just watching you walk around with E made me want another one. That time is so special!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that last picture is gorgeous :)

    where is your quilt from in the last picture? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE it!!! and love the photo. so sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post Jora and what a sweet pic of you with little E! We're expecting our first baby in May and this kind of insider info. is much needed:-) I have baby on the brain. Bring on all your adorable photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jora, that photo made me cry. I've had one of those days with my 2 boys (4.5 and 3 years) when it all just seems too much. And the photo, a mother kissing her baby, reminded me just how much I love being a mum. Those quiet moments of absolute love and affection.
    Cheers
    Engracia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on the baby! It's nice to see you posting again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with all, especially #4. My first born is 13 years old, he has facial hair, zits and a deeper voice than his father's. It breaks my heart. I am so enjoying every little thing about my toddler. Even the not so fun, tantrums.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have NO idea how I came to find your blog and this post, but come September we will have a 4.5 year old, a 2.5 year old, and a newborn. Thank you for all of this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...