Homemade Pantry Party.

March 8, 2013


For at least a year or so, I had been wanting to have a casual party with some girlfriends to exchange homemade goodies.  The idea is we all have something we are more comfortable making....some bake, some are into canning, some are experts with gluten-free goodies, some ferment, some have loads of homegrown produce that need to be turned into something delicious.  The idea was to bring something you enjoy making.


So, finally, after a lot of thinking about it (and then reading this article in the NYT.....hey if all the Brooklyn hipsters are doing it, we should too!), Lyann and I hosted a little get-together in January.  There were 12 of us who wanted to join in (there was no pressure if someone felt it was too much extra work), so we brought 11 items of whatever we made to share with the group.  We made it a "drop in" so that friends could come at anytime and leave whenever they needed.  What ended up happening was everybody stayed the whole 3 hours, drinking tea, snacking on plates of (even more) goodies that friends brought to share.  It was a really, really nice time and I think everybody was really excited to take home their "loot."

{lyann brought shortbread for everyone to sample her butterscoth and muffins to sample her lemon curd}


There was a great variety of items offered: granola, kimchee, an indian cilantro chutney, ketchup, ghee, salad dressing, marmalade, a pomegranate chia seed drink, and lots more.

{scones, clementine cake and "secret ingredient" truffles to snack on with tea}
{little e's friend ida and her mom came to the party}
After the party, Desi was smart (and nice) enough to set up a blog for all of us to post the recipes we used.  A really great resource.  Hopefully a few more friends will add their recipes (hint hint).  We are about to plan a second party in the next couple of weeks.  There is so much inspiration in spring.....I can't wait to figure out what I'm going to make this time.

{one friend's basket of goodies to take home}
Have you ever done something like this?  How did it turn out?  We are still trying to figure out the best, most fun and easy way to do this every couple of months, so I'd love to hear your thoughts or suggestions!

18 comments:

  1. I just love love this. As far as timing, how about a seasonal based exchange?

    ReplyDelete
  2. brilliant, really love this idea...might need to do this as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! Might be a nice idea for a wedding or baby shower too? XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful idea. Is there a link for the pomegranate chia seed drink recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful idea. Is there a link for the pomegranate chia seed drink recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, i wish i lived closer so i could join in. seems like such a charming idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! Pretty sure I am going to have to do this as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I could join too! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SOOO bummed I missed this - definitely want in on the next one - I can even host!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh, so bummed I don't live closer! Yes, I suppose I could organize my own SF party, but it wouldn't be with you lovely ladies :) Looks like SUCH a great time. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did you organize this so that there were no duplications in what people brought?

    ReplyDelete
  13. How did you organize this so that there were no duplications in what people made and brought?

    ReplyDelete
  14. How did you organize this so that there were no duplications in what people brought?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never heard of this before and am wondering whyever not? It's fabulous. I have questions: How many people came? Is everything canned (as in sealed) or just jarred?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Best. Idea. Ever!! Love this so much... we need to play soon!! I am dying to come down for a little Roast Coach fix... maybe next week we can meet with the littles... oxoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so crazy over this idea! Would love to host my own- maybe in the fall. Thanks so much for the idea and pretty pictures!

    Love your blog, will definitely be reading more:)

    Dakota

    dakotabee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...