"Sing, Cause You Don't Know How to Say It."

November 13, 2012

Hi there, Internet friends.  I hope life is good.  For the past couple of months, I have felt a little bit like life is spinning pretty crazy.  Not all good, not all bad.  Just a lot of life stuff right now.  The kids are growing and thriving.  B and I are healthy and are enjoying the little rascals.  Friends have had new babies and yet....2 people I know have passed away in the past month.  One was my grandfather (just shy of his 94th birthday) and the other a beautiful 42 year old mother of a sweet and darling 6 year old girl.

It shakes one up to say the least and I have cried my fair share of tears, but I have felt oddly peaceful in these days.  Sort of groundless, but OK.  Does that make sense?  I know I feel most connected to other people during times like these and I have witnessed some beautiful, loving gestures made to me and others.  Somehow those gestures help make just a little sense of what goes on in this life.

This could be the first time that I have experienced this sort of peacefulness at a time like this.  I am grateful and I hope it continues.  But I have been at a loss to talk about some of these things.....not because I have been stunned or paralyzed by sadness, but more because, seriously, what is there to say about a 6 year old little girl who loses her mom to a long and painful battle with breast cancer?

I have had this song on constant repeat since I heard it on Kim's blog.  I think it says and sounds exactly as I have been feeling.  (I'm pretty sure you won't get the intended effect if you don't listen to it in your car by yourself SUPER loud.....just saying'...)  Oh, and I dare you to not feel better after listening to it.



Because I always like having the lyrics:

There's been a lot of talk of love
But that don't amount to nothing
You can evoke the stars above
But that doesn't make it something

And the only way to last
And the only way to live it
Is to hold on when you get love,
And let go when you give it.. give it.

It's a pretty melody
It might help you through the night time
But it doesn't make it easy
To leave the party at the right time

If I'm frightened, if I'm high
My weakness please forgive it
At least I hold on when I get love,
And I let go when I give it.

What do I do when I get lonely
What do I do?
Hold on when you get love,
What do I do when I get lonely
What do I do?
Let go when you give it.

The world wont listen to this song
And the radio wont play it
But if you like it sing along
Sing 'cause you don't know how to say it

Take the weakest thing in you
And then beat the bastards with it
And always hold on when you get love,
So you can let go when you give it.. give it.. give it.

What do I do when I get lonely
What do I do?
Hold on when you get love
What do I do when I get lonely
What do I do?
Hold on when you get love
What do I do?

I know it's true, please don't think I do
Nothing that you say or do will make you love me
Forget the song, things will go on
I keep seeing you from the dark with you above me

I know it's true, please don't think I do
Nothing that you say or do will make you love me
Forget the song, things will go on
I keep seeing you from the dark with you above me

Take the weakest thing in you
And then beat the bastards with it
And always hold on when you get love,
So you can let go when you give it.
Give it.. give it.. give it.. give it.. give it.. give it.

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, beautiful song, and beautiful reminder to be grateful for everything we have in life. Going to go squeeze my kids now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. already failed your dare. listened (after a stressful morning)... & i do indeed feel better.

    as for your post, yes- it does make sense. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a nice thing to be able to process our emotions. I think it's one of the most valuable parts of aging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this song too! I'm really sorry to hear about your loved ones.... Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. jora, this is a great song, and the lyrics are amazing. i love how a song becomes so much more than a song when it's your mantra through a dark time. the death of a mother of a 6 year old. i'll never understand it. even though i'm the stepmom to kids who lost their mom, it never makes it any less jarring when i hear about things like that happen.

    glad you're still keeping your peace throughout it.

    and the picture of the kids at the bottom of your stairs this morning was so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad, so beautiful. Please accept my condolences, Jora. Just hearing about someone who loses a parent or a child makes me ache inside, no matter their age. I cannot presume to know, but it seems that maybe a parent losing a young child or a young child losing a parent might be the cruelest of blows.

    Continued peace to you.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing all of this, Jora. My most sincere condolences. Sometimes there really are no words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for the recent losses in your life. I hope that you find peace in this. That song is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...