Italy!!

June 7, 2012

You guys!  We leave for Italy in five days.  B "surprised" me with a trip by cashing in about a billion miles and a couple companion passes we've had with British Airways for awhile.  He did this less than 3 weeks before we were to leave.  I like surprises and all, but I was kind of like "Honey, next time we take a trip let's do the talking thing first."  Anyway, now that all the uncertainties of where we are going to go and stay and all that have been taken care of, I am super, duper excited!  And this after I just told everyone I know how happy I was we were to have a low-key summer in town and available for any and all last-minute barbecues, pool parties, beach trips, etc.  Ah well.  Our lives are pretty boring in every other regard, so this last minute trip is just what our family needs I think.

So... we are flying into Rome and staying for a few nights.  B and I LOVE Rome (he taught me to love it actually...before him I was sorta on the fence).  But with kids?  Not so sure.  So we are staying just long enough to (hopefully) get over our jet lag, get a few photos of the kids on the Spanish Steps and take them to eat pizza at our favorite place.  Then, we are headed down to the Amalfi Coast for 12 nights.  This is a dream come true for me because we have never been together and I love it but B is always like I'm-above-that-place-the-menus-are-all-in-German-and-the-place-is-filled-to-the-brim-with-ugly-Americans.  Whatever!!  It is popular because it is awesome, am I right?  Luckily it didn't take too much convincing on my part because we knew we wanted to be somewhere coastal with the kids and we found a great place with a pool.  He'll get over it, I'm sure.  After that, we are taking a night train (with three kids yikes!) to Venice.  We are pretty certain it will be the most exciting thing to happen to them ever, and that the adults will not asleep.  That's what Italian coffee is for, I suppose.

Even though the trip is last minute and we are going in high season,  I am pretty stoked about the places we are staying in. Herewith, our place in Positano:


I am obviously excited, but I also get some anxiety before we leave on a trip.....something about being away from the comfort and security of our home.  Anyway, it isn't that big of a deal, just part of the whole being a mom makes everything more complicated I suppose.  ;-)

14 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Have an amazing time! We took our two kids to Italy last summer - along with my sister and her husband and son. (3 boys under 4 - yes we're obviously crazy.) We had a wonderful time. Italy is a pretty kid-friendly place, especially with a pool! Pizza, pasta, and gelato - what's a kid not to love? Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful time! Will you pretty please give a report when you get back? I'm still trying to decide on that epic trip my husband & I want to take sometime this year... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! We are leaving for Portugal in two weeks. I'm trying to figure out the perfect European vacation packing list. Let me know if you have yours all figured out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That B ;) -- I thoroughly approve of any means of getting oneself to Italy, surprise or not. Rome is such a favorite here, too... and I think one of the best places to land and get "immersed." I was just telling Jacky about the magical place called Venice... it would be so fun to see it again through a child's eyes. Have a fantastic time! I know you will ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great time! This is so what I inspire to be with my family some day! Traveling with kiddos is the best thing you can do for them!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. eeeeeeek! so fun! B is definitely in the runnings for husband of the year on this one! enjoy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So jealous!! Hope it's a wonderful trip. I love love love the Amalfi Coast (all except the treacherous bus ride from Positano to Ravello which scared the daylights out of me!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great! Your husband is awesome. He definitely knows what to do! I am leaving for Croatia in a couple of weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're going to miss each other again! I will be in St. Tropez and Cannes in 2 weeks! If you get tired of fabulous food, rich espresso and amazing scenery come visit us in Cannes :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! that sounds completely amazing. I want to be surprised with a trip like this! Jason lived in Italy ...but I've never been...YET. Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. have a wonderful, wonderful time my friend. so exciting(!!!) and i cannot wait to see all of your amazing pictures (w/ those cutie pie kids of yours :-)).

    ReplyDelete
  12. we'll be crossing each other in the air :) we leave next week from sweden (i married a swede and we live here) to come home (to my home!) in san clemente, california :) rome is so beautiful. we lived in spain and my husband played ball in northern italy, close to milan and he misses the food DAILY. luckily, i've mastered risotto and a few other dishes...which is a lot cheaper than visiting every few months, ha. hope you have an incredible time...so many memories will be made and stories to tell for years to come. buon viaggio!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a wonderful time! Please scout out my retirement fortress, as that is where I WILL be retiring... one day. ;)
    (Positano, that is)
    If you run into 'our old friend,' please let him know that we have never forgotten him! ;) Looking forward to your lovely pictures and posts. Enjoy yourselves!!
    XOXO
    N

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been so crazy busy that I haven't had a moment to look up but I needed to see where the heck you were (are!)

    Have a fantastic time. I love the lido at the bottom of the hill in positano. the children are going to have the best time playing with the italian kids! and that little cafe/all purpose spot at the bottom of the hill, across from the church, where the bus stops, is our absolute favorite place to get potato chips and beer. we loved that as an apero after a big day of swimming. sigh. have a wonderful trip mama. i can't wait to see all of your photos!

    xoox e

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...