Anthem.

June 9, 2012

As I was driving home the other day (no kids, alone with my thoughts, such a treat), I listened to part of an album I hadn't in a very long time.  I'm not quite sure what possessed me to do it.  It was one of those Life's Turning Point Albums.   Then I started to think of other albums like that...ones that told the story of some period of my life that was shifting in big ways.  I'm sure we all have these.  The summer of a move, a fantastic trip, falling in love, starting college, bringing a baby home....  I am weird and won't go back and listen to them very often because I want to preserve their meaning.  I feel it would somehow water down the intensity to keep playing it once my life has settled in a different place.  I want to be able to tap back into it, in case I need that.  Am I the only one who does this?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure India Arie's Acoustic Soul was the soundtrack of a certain summer of mine many years back.  And this song was my anthem.

7 comments:

  1. i played this album over and over and over for the longest time when it came out. i go back to it now and then and it always brings me back to those days...having fun, dating before i got married, cruising in my white beetle in the california sunshine...such sweet times. so magical how music can do that...how certain songs sort of bottle up a moment or chunk of time to be enjoyed later on down the road...love that. such a good song...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here here. For me it's: 10,000 Maniacs' Our Time in Eden; David Grey's White Ladder; Natalie Merchant's Ophelia; and Counting Crow's August and Everything After. Sigh. Listening to them is like reconnecting with an old friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this song and the album. I don't go back very often to things that I listened to on repeat either, but I don't think it was a conscience choice. I'll have to think about that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel that exact same way about music. For me, the reoccurring album in my life is Joni Mitchell's Court and Spark, which has gotten me through many hard times, and be there for so many good ones too. Have fun in Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you...music connects me with my life's milestones like nothing else. Sometimes I even listen to a song, knowing that it'll make me cry, just to get that feeling back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ack! You are taking me back!! I absolutely *adored* this album when it came out and I still love her messages on it. I don't really go back very often either, but when I listen to my old music it completely transports me. Music is my life blood and like you, I totally associate life events with it. This India Arie album reminds me of the time when I just had one baby and it was always on in the background while nursing him, dancing with him, reading to him...driving his father insane because I played it so often... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ALL of India Arie's music is life changing. My three best girlfriends and I always turn to her music when life gets us in the dumps. She absolutely knows how to change your life and brings you to the highest highs. I adore her.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...