pumpkin spice lattes.

November 11, 2011


It's that time of year again.  People go a little crazy for the PSL at Starbucks.  I have been known to indulge in a couple every season.  I think they are worth the hype personally, but at nearly $4 for a "short" (yes,  I still order "shorts") and with the extreme sugar headache which always ensues, I decided to take matters into my own hands.  (Well that and a friend was coming over one afternoon and a fancy-ish coffee drink seemed in order.)  I think these cost something like 20 cents each and were made with mostly organic ingredients.  They were barely sweet (the way I prefer), but you could certainly add more brown sugar if you like.



Pumpkin Spice Latte For the Rest of Us
(makes 3-4)

2 c. half and half (although I think almond and coconut milk would do nicely here....or regular whole milk)
1/2 c. pumpkin puree
2 t. pumpkin pie spice
pinch salt
2-4 T. brown sugar (could use agave, honey, etc.)

Whisk all ingredients in a saucepan and warm over medium-low heat.  Pour in heated mugs.  Top with a shot of espresso and (unsweetened) whipped cream.

{bonus: your sweet girl will like it too -- just make sure you skip the espresso part!}

23 comments:

  1. Your version sounds like perfection! I love me some Sbux, but I can't stand how sweet their drinks are, blech. Yours looks and sounds absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds way better than the pricey version. love a gal that takes matters into her own hands. have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks divine! I can't stomach the Starbucks ones anymore when I think about what the syrup is made of...this is a wonderful alternative :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! It's so hard not to get caught up in those drinks. But the price does add up! I have to try this recipe as a base for my favorite, the gingerbread latte.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about the sugar headache, mine last for days. I will try your version tomorrow, and some for M as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I was sitting at home this evening having read this post, just me and my girl and I decided to give it a whirl and it. was. fabulous! Lils loved her non-coffee version too. Thanks for posting such great recipes Jora.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like perfection to me...looking forward to giving this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pick of your girl drinking it is adorable :) what a wonderful idea- I should definitely give this recipe a try!

    xo
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually think the Starbucks version tastes awful. Looking forward to giving this recipe a try! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds yummy! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. perfection. and juju is just gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yum! cooking this up first thing in the morning, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't go to Starbucks except this time of year (which I've been 3 times in the past month, mind you) for the "1 pump PSL" to cut down on the sweetness. This is perfect timing, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness thank you for posting this! I used to live in the US and be addicted to these at Starbucks alas back in the UK they're not on the menu but now I can make my own - My pregnant self is VERY happy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is pumpkin puree the same as pie filling?

    ReplyDelete
  16. that sounds delicious! can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. She's so cute! I have never tried PSL. I think your version is probably much better than *$'s.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for posting this! I used to love the Pumpkin Spice lattes but lately they are way too sweet for me. I'm going to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing this recipe. It sounds so much better than the Starbucks version. And that photo of your daughter is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jora, I made these lattes last night for a party and people went nuts over them....so many walked away saying.."now, don't forget to send me that recipe." Thanks for the amazing blog. I just adore you and your style, ideas & healthy recipes. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Best to you. xoxo, Mara

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...